spc
Search similar:

uniqs

brimby
@sbcglobal.net

brimby

Anon

[Scam] Can't figure this one out.

I sent my resume to a Craigslist guy offering a job as his personal assistant. I thought it was legitimate. He sent me back a meandering email with alternating good and bad grammar, and forced-sounding enthusiasm. So far we have exchanged several emails and he has even texted me a little bit. He has never asked me for any bank account info, but he does want to mail me a check to start me out working for him. He has not mentioned any 419 stuff about sending him an amount of money, and I'm not sure how he would get me to do that from this employer/employee premise.

Before you suggest maybe he is a legitimate employer--he's not. The emails he sends me are ridiculous. I'm just wondering what his angle is on how he is going to try to scam me with this set up. Any ideas?
jeanmarc
join:2013-01-03
NY

jeanmarc

Here's a few possibilities. The scammers can be stupid but subtle.

»www.consumerfraudreporti ··· cams.php

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One to brimby

MVM

to brimby
I would imagine he will either steal your ID by way of a W4, pay you with a check written off of a stolen account number, or use you as the relay drop for goods purchased with stolen credit cards/checks. Possibly all of the above.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to brimby

Premium Member

to brimby
Unless you can verify his identity and legitimacy of his business, cease communication immediately. No explanation required.

It is important that you have a short version of your resume that does not name your employers, dates of employment, or even your address and direct phone numbers. Send that out for introductions. Get Google Voice if you don't have it and only use that number. Do not provide any actual details until you have thoroughly vetted a job posting.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

I Possibly all of the above.

this

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to brimby

Premium Member

to brimby
said by brimby :

... but he does want to mail me a check to start me out working for him.

I'm just wondering what his angle is on how he is going to try to scam me with this set up. Any ideas?

Mailing checks is known as a remailer.
It's basically the same thing as being a remailer for fraudulently purchased packages that need to be 'remailed' a hop closer to the scammer.
The difference being that you'd be mailing a check to someone setup as an advance check scam victim.
This benefits the scammer by distancing himself from anything that's trackable.
Should the advance check victim's actions result in an investigation by LE, the trail would stop at your doorstep where the check was mailed from.
There's many variations on this, but that's it in a nut shell.
So even though there isn't outward signs of a remailer getting ripped off it can still bring much grief to the remailer.