spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-03-14

I want to change my UPS battery

Is there any problem if I change my battery while the UPS power is on? Please let me know the process to change the UPS Battery. Thanks in advance

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

please let us know the make and model of your ups.

generally most consumer grade single battery ups units will have to be powered down to change the battery.

also please let me know if you are 1. a bot 2. very bored or 3. spammer or 4. howto wiki article writer

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to 56238362

Can you possibly... should you NO

Is the connected device that critical it can't be down for 15 min?

If so you should just have a transfer switch on it to transfer it uninterrupted to power line only and de-power the UPS ... and hope it doesn't go out while working. Disconnecting the battery while unit powered could possibly damage the charging circuitry even if you don't accidentally short something.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to 56238362

Read the manual - either at home or online...

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Hayward

This is why you use gear with duel power supplies.

Expand your moderator at work

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL
reply to 56238362

Re: I want to change my UPS battery

At least when it comes to APC UPS boxes, swapping out batteries while the UPS is on is standard.

I've done it for many years, following the (printed) instructions that came with my various UPSes.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Really? I think replacing an APC battery is extremely difficult. Very awkward task as the fit is so tight once the heavy battery has been dropped in you can't connect it without a lot of struggle. Mine has to be disconnected first because I can't reach it until I unplug and move it. I have a new UPS and it is NOT APC partly for this reason/
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to 56238362

Do yourself a favor and power down the UPS and change out the battery, with it cold.
Better to have a graceful shutdown rather than an unplanned and potentially unpleasant one. Your choice.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Really? I think replacing an APC battery is extremely difficult. Very awkward task as the fit is so tight once the heavy battery has been dropped in you can't connect it without a lot of struggle. Mine has to be disconnected first because I can't reach it until I unplug and move it. I have a new UPS and it is NOT APC partly for this reason/

I had a unit with a battery that bulged slightly, and it took nearly an hour to remove it without damaging the unit.
--
Sequestration must be a great idea. Obama thought of it.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to 56238362

said by 56238362:

Is there any problem if I change my battery while the UPS power is on? Please let me know the process to change the UPS Battery. Thanks in advance

Like others have stated, best to power down your device, unplug and replace the batteries. I just did that to 8 APC units preparing for another Florida t-storm season.

This Saturday, I'm taking the old ones to the recycling center. I've always wondered what they do with them.

jacksparow

join:2013-03-27
reply to 56238362

if the battery stays for more than half an hour then take some more time to change the battery or if dosent stands for more than ten mins then i will recomend to change the battery

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by jacksparow:

if the battery stays for more than half an hour then take some more time to change the battery or if dosent stands for more than ten mins then i will recomend to change the battery

if the battery leaves at anytime then no need to change as it already left.
Expand your moderator at work