Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to FFH5

Re:Google pulls ad blocking software from App Store

God forbid a website that provide you content for FREE makes a few $$$ on advertising. All the ad-block people are going to do is make sure the web becomes like cable TV and everything is a subscription. So sure no ads, but browsing the web will cost $200 a month. Sorry I'll put up with ads so most content on the internet will remain free.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
said by 88615298:

God forbid a website that provide you content for FREE makes a few $$$ on advertising. All the ad-block people are going to do is make sure the web becomes like cable TV and everything is a subscription. So sure no ads, but browsing the web will cost $200 a month. Sorry I'll put up with ads so most content on the internet will remain free.

I used to be like you. I never minded ads on web sites. Then I started seeing animated Flash ads with sound. Then the ads started to automatically expand over part of the web page. Like an ad on the IMDb that opened a book over half the page. Or there was the computer ad that zoomed an image of a laptop out to cover the page while it opened up and told you all of the features. Next came the ads that would wait until you'd been using the site for about 20 seconds, and then fade out the entire page to be replaced by an ad which makes you wait 10-20 seconds before you're allowed to close it and go back to the site (with the display moved back to the top, rather than where you were on the page). Not to mention the popup ads on YouTube videos, or the ads you had to sit through at the start of videos.

At that point I got fed up and installed the MVP Hosts file which directs all ad server requests to 127.0.0.1. The occasional banner ad still shows up, but everything else is blocked.

Pages load faster and you're not bombarded by crap.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to 88615298
Except cable TV is 1/3+ ads.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to 88615298
Ad blocking was a direct response to how intrusive internet advertising has gotten.

I started to use it when ads went from harmless banners to full flash driven video ads with sound.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports