J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Guelph Police Officer died while on duty.

Well, when I first heard about it I thought she was killed in the line of duty, as in with a criminal, but that wasn't the case. Either way, tragic event, but it looks like it was totally preventable.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener···658.html
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Thats terrible. I wonder what happened for her cruiser to have crossed over and collide with the bus.

26, so young...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by HiVolt:

Thats terrible. I wonder what happened for her cruiser to have crossed over and collide with the bus.

26, so young...

that is odd...it would normally indicate a loss of control, but then you would ask why did she lose control...was speed an issue??...distracted driving??...perhaps a patch of black ice right on the curve??...not sure if we will ever find out.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to J E F F
Concur and I would have guessed friend or sister but not mother in that pic. Hopefully the family gets more detail than has been released.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

26, so young...

that is odd...it would normally indicate a loss of control, but then you would ask why did she lose control...was speed an issue??...distracted driving??...perhaps a patch of black ice right on the curve??...not sure if we will ever find out.

Yeah, or perhaps a mechanical failure...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by HiVolt:

Yeah, or perhaps a mechanical failure...

possible, but unlikely...cop cars are meticulously maintained.

AntBee
Premium
join:2002-12-06
Moncton, NB
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

26, so young...

I have seen RCMP officers texting or on their phones while driving, so this may have been the case with Constable Kovach. The police tend to think the rules do not apply to them when it comes to distracted driving, but once they respond to a call via their radios, all other forms of communication should cease until they get to the scene. Just saying from what I've seen officers doing, not saying this is what happened in this case, but it is highly probable.
--
-Poor little Tink Tink-
Kat Williams

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by AntBee:

Just saying from what I've seen officers doing, not saying this is what happened in this case, but it is highly probable.

absolutely a possibility.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to J E F F
It appears no dash-cam with that cruiser?

But this clearly looks like mistake on drivers/officers part but it wont come out.
She is or was young and with pleasant personality.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to J E F F
This type of thing usually happens with overtired drivers.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

The news story indicated that she was responding to a distress call from another officer, so she may have been going fast.

It also indicated that there was light snowfall, so that would make the road slippery.

--------------------

Regardless of the final determined cause, condolences to her family and friends.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by PX Eliezer:

The news story indicated that she was responding to a distress call from another officer, so she may have been going fast.

An assist officer call would have had her moving very fast.
--
Senate - get off your butts and actually create a budget that has spending cuts 3x the amount of tax increases like you promised.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to J E F F
Oh Man. Not that drama with shutting down the whole city. overrunning with 20K police force from allover.
She is not this only one died in the country. As much I love what they do I hate this kind of show.

Now that I think of this accident Was this attempted suicide?

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by loosedobbs:

Oh Man. Not that drama with shutting down the whole city. overrunning with 20K police force from allover.
She is not this only one died in the country. As much I love what they do I hate this kind of show.

I have to wonder too. How much does this cost all of the police forces to send these officers from all over North America? I'm guessing this is costing the tax payers in Canada and the US well over $3 million...just for the policing. (assuming 6,000 officers)

As for the accident, I gather she was driving recklessly and lost control and hit an unmovable object, City of Guelph transit bus -- she hit the front end of the bus with the passenger side of police vehicle, so I imagine her head hit the driving side window....
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

Why on earth would you think that?

She was responding to a call to assist another officer, and there was some snow falling.

That her car skidded is far, far more likely than what you said.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

2 recommendations

reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

said by loosedobbs:

I have to wonder too. How much does this cost all of the police forces to send these officers from all over North America? I'm guessing this is costing the tax payers in Canada and the US well over $3 million...just for the policing. (assuming 6,000 officers)

Not this shit again...

Most are there on their own time, and own dime; the travel expenses are typically covered personally, or by their union or association.

Show some God damn respect for someone who died helping those in need.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Plenty of good people die daily who aren't shown any respect, but I understand this "brotherhood".

Regardless, though, this tragedy was preventable.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to LazMan
I'll also add that plenty of officers have actually died while in the line of duty, being either run over or shot to death by gangsters or whatever, leaving behind a wife and 3 kids, aren't shown this level of respect, at least not around here.

Although I hate to point it out, if you're a 45 year old male, married with kids, your death isn't as worthy if you're a 26 year old single hottie. Not saying that to be rude, just pointing out the obvious.

I also wonder if this had been a fire truck that lost control or an ambulance, if the police wouldn't be making a public inquiry out of it.
--

LazMan
Premium
canada
Officer Kovach is the 3rd Police LODD in Canada this year; there was only 5 line of duty deaths in Canada last year; 3 in 2011. I'll argue there aren't "plenty" of line of duty death's, period. And that's a good thing.

In my experience any LoDD for a first responder, should be regarded highly... I freely admit I'm biased. I'm a Firefighter, my dad was a Firefighter, my uncle was a Cop; my father-in-law was a cop.

The men and woman who risk their lives, to protect others, deserve the every bit of respect, pomp, circumstance, and honour that can be given to them; should they die in the line.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Not going no disagree there. But there usually isn't all this pomp and circumstance for other LoDD's that I've seen. I'm sure you remember Listowel, super tragedy, and some pomp, but not nearly as much circumstance, it made a 3 minute clip, but that was it. It also was investigated.
--

LazMan
Premium
canada
I was at Listowel, and marched in the parade.

There was somewhere around 10,000 firefighters there; I personally saw firefighters from Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, and the US. Covered live on several news channels...

It was investigated by the Ministry of Labour; as this accident likely well, as well.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Funeral ended up costing the tax payers $163,000

»kitchener.ctvnews.ca/funeral-for···.1242456

$77,000 over budget. Part of it was "promotional material".
--