dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
This is a sub-selection from Where do OTA viewers fit in with this?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Where do OTA viewers fit in with this?

It's not illegal to connect to a POP in Canada or in an out of market area and stream the game directly through a multicast feed.

BTW your analogy is incorrect. You are comparing potential copyright violations with petit theft or retail theft which are different classes of incidents. In the case of theft that falls typically under criminal (whereas copyright violations are typically civil penalties. They have gotten more barbaric recently tho.

It's called a blackout which is a fictional and artificial way of limiting supply. At first the theory was that a blackout was there to sell seats (but when they are $100 maybe not), but then even after they were sold out they STILL blacked out games. It never ends. They should be happy because half of the game is commercials and I "thought" that is where they made their money.

I live in WNY which is considered a "local NYC" market area which I live over 400 miles from. Even Boston, Phil, DC, Balt, etc are closer. Interestingly enough MLB won't take my money so I can watch the Yankees, so my only "easy" alternative is to pay $35 a month more for Yes, and I'm not going to do that. So I just don't watch the games anymore, and I could now care less if the Yankees just disappear. Sad because I grew up going to games all the time and my fond memories of that one can not replace. But the MLB has wrecked my relationship w/ the Yankees and picking your advertisers over fans--even ones who will pay is a good way to go out of business.

There are also many other ways to see them, and BTW retransmitting the stream is theoretically a breach of some made up copyright laws not tapping it directly.

I personally go to the bar if there is a game to watch with the guys, but all of my buds pay for the full monty so we could go to their house. Is that considered a performance if 10 people are watching the game? Yes Should I send $10 to the NFL?

This s**t is ridiculous.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

My feeling if it just a party to watch the game and no money was paid to attend then the law may say something different but I don't care if 100 people show up it should not be illegal.
TWC wanted to charge $4/month for the modem that had been free for years. I bought my own and dropped the VoIP I seldom used. I would drop the TV if I was not 100+ miles from from all major cities.

The only non OTA TV channels I watch is SyFy. The major networks show more repeats then the original show.
This is a sub-selection from Where do OTA viewers fit in with this?