spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn

Deleting emails on Outlook - using IMAP

I am using IMAP email on Outlook and when I delete an email, that email stays in my inbox with a strikethrough line over it. The email does not move to the trash folder until after several days - dont know why but it is very frustrating.

I want the email to move to the 'Trash' folder right after deletion.

Does anyone know where I can change these setting?

Thanks

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Just to clarify... are you talking about using the software called outlook on your PC... or are you talking about connecting to outlook.com, the email service?

if you are talking about the software called outlook on the pc then let us know what version you are using.

if you are talking about the email service outlook.com let us know what email client you are using.
iLearn
canada

iLearn

I am using the software called Outlook 2007 on my PC.

seaman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

1 edit

2 recommendations

seaman to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
said by iLearn:

Does anyone know where I can change these setting?

Look under- Tools, Account Settings, double click on your account, More settings, General Tab there is a setting that says something like- delete messages on page refresh.

EDIT: The actual wording is- "Purge items when switching folders while online"

»groups.haas.berkeley.edu ··· etup.pdf
iLearn
canada

iLearn

Thanks but it seems like it will send all deleted messages permanently right away without sending them to 'Trash' folder? Is that true? If yes, is there a way to set this up so deleted messages go to Trash folder first?

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

1 recommendation

jaa to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
With IMAP, they do not go to trash. Just change the view so deleted messages are not displayed, and the items with strikethrough will not be displayed. It is in the view settings for the folder.

If you want to see the "deleted" items, change the view back to display deleted items and you will see them with the strikethrough again.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to iLearn

Mod

to iLearn
Is this a GMail account?
iLearn
canada

iLearn

said by Kramer:

Is this a GMail account?

No

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

The reason I ask is GMail is a bit different than a lot of other IMAP services because you can have a lot more control. What happens with deleted items using IMAP can be maddening because it varies by the service and more importantly it varies by what version of MS Outlook you are using. IMAP marks things for deletion and then actually deletes them when you purge them. The purging process normally just completely removes the mail from all folders. I don't have a copy of Outlook 2007 here, but I have Outlook 2010 and 2013. Outlook 2010 did things a bit differently from 2007 as well as 2013 and added a deleted items tab in the settings tabs and allowed you to direct deleted items to a specific folder. This could be a "trash" folder that your IMAP provider already has. I think Outlook 2013 did away with this option, for what reason I do not know. It was a nice feature. As has been mentioned here you can filter your "view" to exclude marked items, so that when you delete something it immediately disappears from view. By default I think Outlook 2010/2013 does this.

Since you have Outlook 2007 and I believe no ability to direct your deleted items to a specific folder, you might want to tread lightly with auto purging, since you will never get the chance to recover a deleted message, should you delete one by mistake.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
Outlook 2007 doesn't support this option. Outlook 2010 and newer does

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 8df7d0c0

Older outlook just marks it as deleted, until you Expunge. This is normal for IMAP email.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

4 edits

Kramer

Mod

said by JohnInSJ:

Outlook 2007 doesn't support this option. Outlook 2010 and newer does

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 8df7d0c0

Older outlook just marks it as deleted, until you Expunge. This is normal for IMAP email.

The option was added in Outlook 2010 and removed in Outlook 2013. Outlook 2013 uses the XLIST standard for special folders which is implemented differently on many systems. I am hosted with Hostgator and sent items are properly mapped while deleted items are not. Best article I have seen on the subject: »www.slipstick.com/how-to ··· ok-2013/

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Yea, except for programs with features that let you hide deleted IMAP email, like Outlook Express.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

Outlook will do the same. In fact with 2010 and 2013, that is the default view for IMAP.
Expand your moderator at work
scottechie
join:2013-05-02
united kingd

scottechie to Kramer

to Kramer

Re: Deleting emails on Outlook - using IMAP

Hello
Hope you can help me. I have set up an IMAP account in Outlook 2013 with a yahoo account (in fact it is BT Yahoo).

I have not removed my POP account yet so it is still there until I am happy with the benefits of using IMAP.

When I delete a message on my IMAP account I do not see it with a strikethrough anywhere. It just seems to disappear.

I have a tick in the box "mark items for deletion but do not move them automatically" and the purge box is not ticked.

Not sure where in my View I can see strikethrough items or if it is embedded in Options somewhere.

Thanks!

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

You are the first person I have met that actually wants to see the strike-throughs I'm not sure there is a way to do what you want and I find it odd that the option to do just that seems to have no effect on my system either. You see the strike-through for a second and then the message disappears. Microsoft has been playing games with IMAP, particularly with how it works with GMail and I actually like what they have done in 2013, but for you it could be a problem. My history may be wrong, but I think it is correct. Prior to Outlook 2010, when you deleted a message in IMAP on a GMail account it would simply archive the message when purged. You then had different purging options or views were used to ignore the deleted messages. In 2010, you were able to specify the folder the purged mail went to. In 2013 they took away that option. It appears that when you delete a message in IMAP it is actually deleted. For GMail that means moving it into the trash folder where it will be permanently deleted in 30 days. I suspect the same is happening in Yahoo.

Anyway, at least for me, I can confirm your difficulty. There appears to be no way to setup the traditional IMAP strike-throughs where mail isn't actually deleted until it is purged. If you delete something, it is actually deleted. At least it appears that way in GMail and probably Yahoo too. That behavior is closer to the way POP behaves. Maybe that is why they did it. I have no explanation for why the option to not move the messages automatically has no effect other than to say it is a bug.