how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sdrexler

join:2013-03-13
Syosset, NY

[Northeast] Getting gig-e router to connect at G speed

So I just had my ONT and Router replaced with the newest units. The Actiontec router is version i gig-e.
The WAN is capable of connecting at 1g speeds, but is showing a 100 mb connection. Does anyone know how to make it connect to the ONT at at 1g speeds?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Your Tellabs ONT only has a 10/100 Ethernet port....

sdrexler

Syosset, NY
Wow, that seems really stupid considering fiber to the house and gig-e router. Why would they do that?

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA
reply to sdrexler
What model ONT did you get? I thought the latest models being installed were Alcatel-Lucent version?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
reply to sdrexler
BPON ONT's can't get any speeds higher than 100M, so there is no need for a GigE Ethernet port...

sdrexler

Syosset, NY
So what happens if you order a speed that needs GPON?

propcgamer

join:2001-10-10
They would replace your ONT. What do you think?

sdrexler

Syosset, NY
What I would think is all new ONT's installed would be gpon compatible and have gig ports.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by sdrexler:

What I would think is all new ONT's installed would be gpon compatible and have gig ports.

An ONT is either BPON or GPON. There are no ONTs that are both.

If you're in a BPON only CO, you can only get a BPON ONT. If you're in a CO that has both BPON and GPON, you won't be moved to GPON unless you order a tier that requires it. i.e. greater than 100Mbps.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.