spc
uniqs
Buddha2oo9
join:2009-05-05

Buddha2oo9 to technocar2

to technocar2

Re: Rogers "Ultimate Fibre" internet

said by technocar2:

20gb is nothing... I'm uploading ~100gb everyday on my 10mbps, I did that even when they didn't have unlimited.

Wow! What do you upload for 22 hours everyday? I only ask because for my company, things get time sensitive so having the quick upload helps so much in my case.

I have a d-link router. (DGL-4500). How do you setup QoS properly? (That will at least solve the slowdown in the house).
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

technocar2

said by caca:

i only have the hiltron with speeds of 150/10 i dont have it in bridge

said by Buddha2oo9:

I have a d-link router. (DGL-4500). How do you setup QoS properly? (That will at least solve the slowdown in the house).

Both don't have true QoS, they just have WMM QoS, which is hardly configurable. For the 150/10 you need a much more powerful router to run it properly, the best solution is pfsense on at least a 1.5GHz CPU.

I actually have my router on a core 2 extreme CPU with pfsense, its overkill I know, but I never have to worry about it being underpowered for anything. VPN, QoS, IPv6, 24/7 torrent server it will do anything without breaking a sweat.

But for the average Joe that has 150/10 you still need a powerful router if you want to run QoS otherwise you will not see 150/10. RT-AC66U or RT-N56U will work for anything less than 150/10 with DD-WRT or even the stock firmware since true QoS built in to the firmware but for the 150/10 you need a real powerful computer to do QoS for 150mbps because it requires too much resources and consumer grade hardware just doesn't have that horsepower.

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998

i'm on extreme plus on a DGL 4500 with QOS enable and its fine.

I was also at the 150/10 package for about 2 weeks until I decided I didn't need it and dropped to a lower package. And my DGL 4500 handle that speed fine aswell.

For the other poster just go to the Dlink site they have plenty of info on how to configure the router.

While a Machine using Pfsense will be more powerful the DGL 4500 isn't a $50 POS router. It was $200 on release and it should handle 150/10 without to much issue.
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by Makaveli998:

i'm on extreme plus on a DGL 4500 with QOS enable and its fine.

I was also at the 150/10 package for about 2 weeks until I decided I didn't need it and dropped to a lower package. And my DGL 4500 handle that speed fine aswell.

It has WMM QoS, its not really the kind of QoS you would want for 150/10. There is no way it can handle true QoS for 150/10, you have to realize the amount processing the CPU has to do really quickly to keep up with 150/10, if it can't then the speed will go down to whatever the CPU can keep up with, usually around 40-60mbps for those routers. No doubt its a good $200 router but that's not the point; it simply wasn't design to have true QoS for 150/10 therefore its hardware cannot support that, it can support 150/10 without QoS no problem.

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998

true QoS for 150/10

Can you provide me of an example of what TRUE QOS test is suppose to look like so that I can run that test on this router?
technocar2
Brampton, ON

1 edit

technocar2

said by Makaveli998:

true QoS for 150/10

Can you provide me of an example of what TRUE QOS test is suppose to look like so that I can run that test on this router?

True QoS is anything that you can configure to your network demands, such as prioritize certain packets over others, or certain port, IPs, DNS or anything like that. The QoS that was mentioned in this thread was WMM QoS, which is only for multimedia over wifi and thus cannot apply to http, gaming, P2P, or VoIP traffic.

Running true QoS takes too much of the CPU's resources that's why only a the most power routers have this feather to various degrees. RT-AC66U has an excellent QoS setup but like I said it may not be able to run at 150mbps with QoS on.

Also there are no tests, you have to set up QoS policies and if your router has the guts then it should be able to prioritize packets according to said policies. Only way to test it is to have two computers with different kinds of traffic and check if they are getting correct speeds and priority with respect to your policy. If your router's CPU is too slow at this process then your overall speed will be less as well such that the router's CPU can keep up otherwise there is no point in running QoS.