spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

YankeeFan

join:2009-01-13

[OOL] Request WiFi hotspot?

Is there any way to request that Optimum fix/replace a wifi hotspot?

Prior to Hurricane Sandy, we had Optimum WiFi coverage where I work (at the end of Tice Blvd. in Woodcliff Lake). Since the storm -- no more WiFi :-( I'd really like to find out if there is a way to report this and get the situation fixed. The wireless (cellular) coverage is almost non-existent at this location, and there won't be another tower ready for at least another 18 months according to the wireless providers (I've called all the major ones).

Any ideas?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
Did you try calling it in to the customer service number?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
reply to YankeeFan
Is it still covered on the wifi map? Provide all the info you can on the location. Provide specific symptoms (no SSID, no login page, can't login, other) and they can escalate.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Is there a process to request a new outdoor WiFi Hotspot?

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Not that I know of.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Is there a process to request a new outdoor WiFi Hotspot?

I think you can call in to support and ask for one. If they feel its a high enough traffic area they will install one.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to YankeeFan
Do you have OOL at work? If so, I think they will install a wifi hotspot at your company at no charge.

A lot of companies are also putting in their own hotspots for employees so they can connect their smartphones and avoid data charges.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

Gest

@optonline.net
reply to YankeeFan
On the optimum wifi page there is a contact us / suggestion form . I have wrote them around 4 times now and they get back to you. Maybe once they didnt. Heres link

»m.optimumwifi.com/give_feedback.html

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to YankeeFan
OP: are you sure you had an *OUTDOOR* AP near the END of that dead-end (Google maps shows that building to belong to PAR Pharmaceutical, there's a Hilton hotel sprawling on the south side of Tice Blvd and immediately east to it)?

There's apparently outdoor coverage on the main road (Chestnut Ridge Rd), but that's over 2400 feet away : at least 1000 ft. too far for outdoor coverage to reach.

I do see indoor coverage at what seems to be a related business to PAR Pharmaceutical: PAR Iv Capital at 50 Tice Blvd.

If you are working for that PAR place - you might have had Optimum Wifi indoor coverage at the building at the end of the cul-de-sac, but you no longer do. You should inquire about that internally - if your business at that location is a current Optimum customer, a call to business support should get the ball rolling to get it turned up.

If not: it might have been the Hilton that had INDOOR Optimum Wifi, bleeding out enough towards the Par Pharmaceutical building to be usable, but they no longer have it.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
An FYI to the OP regarding that, if it is indoor wifi you won't see all the SSIDs that you see for the outside hotspots. If you recall seeing all 4 SSIDs then it would be outdoor.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
said by frdrizzt:

An FYI to the OP regarding that, if it is indoor wifi you won't see all the SSIDs that you see for the outside hotspots. If you recall seeing all 4 SSIDs then it would be outdoor.

Right. My indoor Optimum Wifi hotspot only offers 'optimumwifi' and 'CableWiFi'. The outdoor ones also offer the TWC and Xfinity SSIDs in addition to the other two.