how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bsdaiwa

join:2004-06-04
Fullerton, CA

What Amp?

I have a Linksys router in need of a power supply. Looking at the specs, on the bottom of the router they tell me that I need a 12V 1A power supply. I have a power supply that is 12V .5A and was wondering if I could use it to power the router?
Will the lower amp rating result in less power and will it, over a period of time, damage the router?
Can anyone give me some advice on this?
Thanks

aw3dhg

join:2001-09-05
Bloomingburg, NY
Reviews:
·EarthLink

1 recommendation

not a good idea underpowering could cause issues and may even cause components to overheat as they try to keep up with demand .. go to radio shack or similar you can find wall warts that fit the spec or even ones with a variety of power outputs
--
[img]»www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg[/img]

bsdaiwa

join:2004-06-04
Fullerton, CA
said by aw3dhg:

not a good idea underpowering could cause issues and may even cause components to overheat as they try to keep up with demand .. go to radio shack or similar you can find wall warts that fit the spec or even ones with a variety of power outputs

Thanks, that's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it with others.
Thanks again.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by bsdaiwa:

said by aw3dhg:

Thanks, that's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it with others.
Thanks again.

FWIW, I have found that the 1.0 amp rated supplies that Linksys uses for many of their consumer grade routers is insufficient (and that is why their power blocks have such a high failure rate). I always use a 1.25 amp or 1.5 amp supply when replacing the original dead power supply. I have yet to see one of the higher rated replacement supplies go belly up, but I have seen quite a few of the original under rated supplies go poof.

I probably shouldn't pick on Linksys because I have found that the practice of using underrated supplies is quite common for a lot of consumer grade electronics that depend on cheap wall warts (if you can save a couple of cents per unit and still have most of them last until the warranty expires...go for it).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.