spc
Search similar:

uniqs
greywolfe9
join:2009-01-29
Commerce Township, MI

greywolfe9

Worth the Switch?

Currently have AT&T DSL @ 3Mbs down. Is it worth the cost to move to Comcast for faster speeds?

If so, the following is the gear I'm planning on using.

MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
ASUS RT-AC66U router
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

It's worth depends on what you're currently paying now and will be paying for the new Comcast service and the cost of new equipment.
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN to greywolfe9

to greywolfe9
I say YES!

I had AT&T dsl/local phone service, and switched to Comcast and LOVE it (for the most part). My bill IIRC is about the same, but now I have unlimited local and LD. Cell phones don't get great reception in the house, so I still have a land line.

Now I will say this: IMHO Comcast SERVICE is amoung the best I have experienced...

Comcast CUSTOMER service is amoung the WORST I've seen.

In short, they are GREAT, unless you have an issue.

-Alan

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN to greywolfe9

to greywolfe9
If you have no problem switching you could do what many people do. Every 6 to 12 months they go back and forth between companies taking advantage of their promo's.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Why waste your time doing that ? A simple phone call to sales can get you a new promo added.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN

If the OP wants Digital Voice? I always get calls from a Comcast CSR and the only offers they can make consists of getting their phone service.
greywolfe9
join:2009-01-29
Commerce Township, MI

greywolfe9

This is for internet only. No switch of phone service.

FYI, cost will be more but, that's the only was to get more speed. I've checked and U-Verse is available at only the 3Mb/s rate where I'm at.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Then if you want more speeds, it's worth it as it's your only other option.
Hilbe
join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN

Hilbe to greywolfe9

to greywolfe9
I switched from U-Verse. I'm paying $40/month for 12 months for Blast (50/10), but they had cheaper Performance for $30/month for 12 months. How does that compare to what you're paying?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to greywolfe9

MVM

to greywolfe9
said by greywolfe9:

Currently have AT&T DSL @ 3Mbs down. Is it worth the cost to move to Comcast for faster speeds?

In all probability, yes. When I switched from AT&T, we were already paying $33 for the 3.0 Mbps Internet tier; with another rate hike (to $35) looming. I think 3.0 Mbps is now $38, or so.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to greywolfe9

MVM

to greywolfe9
For me, it was an easy decision!

For a long time I had AT&T's "Elite" dsl (6Mbps, which equated to 5.1Mbps down, 0.76Mbps up in actual speed).

I am barely paying a couple bucks more a month (it was less until the 6 month intro price ran out) for the Comcast "Performance" tier, which is giving me 20/4 (In reality a bit better than that - 22Mbps down and 4.5Mbps up).
Dumaine
join:2010-12-05
Detroit, MI

Dumaine to greywolfe9

to greywolfe9
I too had Elite service and never received their advertised speeds.

This home had Bell service since 1963 and I was really afraid to switch. I bit the bullet and switched to Comcast Triple Play (HD Preferred XF, with Blast) and am paying less that when we had ATT phone and DSL, and Direct TV (with no HD). All things in consideration I am totally happy that I switched!!

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN

Here in Chicago they are trying to go away with DSL and only signing up U-Verse. My sister had for like 4 years 1.5mbps AT&T yahoo! DSL for $19.99 (might have increased over the years). She inquired to get a speed increase and they told her its a grandfathered package that can't be upgraded or anything. Only option was to get U-Verse.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to greywolfe9

Premium Member

to greywolfe9
In my opinion, cable modems are an upgrade from DSL.

Yes, DSL might be cheaper but cable modems are much better performance wise. Comcast is great when it works but their support is not that great when there is a service problem. I currently have a triple play through Comcast as bundling is cheaper.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to greywolfe9

to greywolfe9
In my case going from 12/1.5 with pings around 30 MS to 50/10 with pings at 10-13 MS was TOTALLY worth the switch!

If I was someone with 3 Mbps I'd be moving to cable even quicker.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

In my opinion, cable modems are an upgrade from DSL.

I know a number of people who disagree. I stayed with a friend for a couple of months, while apartment hunting. Her 768/384 ADSL connection was extremely painful to me, but she preferred it to cable price.

Yes, DSL might be cheaper but cable modems are much better performance wise. Comcast is great when it works but their support is not that great when there is a service problem. I currently have a triple play through Comcast as bundling is cheaper.

If by "performance wise", you mean, "faster", that is true. I can live with the 25 ms "interleaved" ping, which is very consistent. But Comcast Triple Play is not cheaper than what I pay for ADSL2+; and, until they upgrade this area (in a couple of months), not much faster.