Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

4 edits

[HSI] Help!

I'm buying a brand new house...as in new construction, new subdivision, even the street is new. It doesn't show on any GPS or map service (Google Maps, Mapquest, etc). There are only 4 homes built in the subdivision so far. I close next week on March 20, and plan on moving that weekend.

I currently have Time Warner for internet and had asked them about moving my service to the new home. They had to do a serviceability check due to the home being so new. They informed me that they didn't service the area, and went on to state that the reason they don't is that they don't hold the franchise for the area (but didn't say who did).

I remembered that a co-worker of mine has a sister who lives very close to my new house, so I asked my co-worker who her sister has for internet. She said her sister has Charter. So...I called Charter. The person I spoke with said she would have to check (I think with their construction department) on serviceability. After being on hold for a bit, she came back and told me that they don't service the area. Guess who she says services that area? Time Warner.

Part of the problem that I think I'm running into is that my new house is not in the town that's used for the mailing address. It's actually 5 miles south of that town AND in a different county than that town is located in. Time Warner does service that town...which I'm not actually in. Using a utility as an example...the town provides water/sewer service, but not to my new house. I'm getting water/sewer from the county my new house is in rather than the town of my mailing address. I tried to explain the location to the Charter girl, but I don't know if she understood...or if they really did a check. Time Warner claims they actually sent someone out to the location the day after I called about moving service, and I know Charter didn't send someone out there because I was only on hold for a few minutes. Plus, with my co-worker's sister being so close I tend to believe that Charter is the one who should be providing service.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this straightened out? I need internet for my job, and I really don't want to go with Centurylink DSL if I don't have to.

INtheKnow

@charter.com

If you look in your neighborhood and first see if you have any cable "Taps"( Connection points either airial on utility pole or underground(green plastic pedistals in yard) in the area. If there are none it is highly unlikely you will be gettin service soon. But to know for sure i would go by the local tech office, not the payment center., and speak with someone in management.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Everything in the subdivision is underground, and the only pedestals I saw were marked as Centurylink or as "Electric".

The two houses across the street from mine have Dish and DIRECTV dishes on them. Don't know about the other house. I'm going with DIRECTV for TV, mainly because I just signed up with them last July and still under contract.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to scots

I suggest you check with the "Developments" Builder/Construction company to see if they ever contacted either one of those cable co's. with regard to wiring up this new tract.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
reply to scots

First question when buying into a new development is "Who provides .......... " from the Realtor and then verify it.

Expand your moderator at work

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to scots

Re: [HSI] Help!

There are still plenty of places in this great big country where there is no CATV service.
Sometimes, it takes years for the CATV company to finally enter a "newbuild". They have that luxury.
The power and telephone company are often mandated by state laws to provide "universal service".
You might want to call CenturyTel and start picking out your DSL / DirecTV package.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

CharterTech

join:2012-08-06

He just said he was 5 miles out of town. No Centurylink DSL for him. Looks like DirecTV and either Dial-up or sat internet or wireless with heavy overages and caps. Looks like you got a bum deal on the new house. Hope u got it at a steal because I dont look for much movement in that subdivision being Broadbandless.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

He just said he was 5 miles out of town. No Centurylink DSL for him.

That doesn't mean anything. They can put an RT or DSLAM anywhere. With your logic, no one outside of a city could get DSL. Plenty of people in the country suffer along on DSL. 1.5/256 is still way better than dial-up.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to kherr

Yes! Very important, even if renting. I used to set up new service for cable subscribers and many customers called to transfer service/get service the day of moving, or after, expecting same day installation.