uniqs
share rss forum feed

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to ke4pym

Re: Heads up guys....new trick to eliminate Youtube throttling!

m0n0wall is based on FreeBSD; if it has a shell interface, has tcpdump, and has bpf device support enabled in the kernel or as a module (this is default), it should be able to do the capturing.

From this thread it appears that the kernel has bpf support, but that the tcpdump binary and associated libpcap library (and possibly others) are missing -- installing them by unpacking some standard FreeBSD package tarballs and putting both libpcap.so* and tcpdump in the same directory should suffice. Do not follow the advice of the fellow who download libpcap.so.1.1.1 and renamed it to libpcap.so.1 -- do not do this.

If you want to provide me with a Wireshark capture from a Windows workstation (if that's easiest for you), be my guest.

On OS X it's just as easy. As root: tcpdump -p -i {iface} -l -n -v -s 0 -w capture.pcap '(tcp and port 80) or (udp and port 53)' where {iface} should be the interface name of your Ethernet connection (i.e. en0, etc.). To end the capture, press Ctrl-C, and then copy the capture.pcap file somewhere where you can open it in Wireshark, or hand it over to me.

Be aware: cookies and other things will be visible in these captures, as well as any other TCP port 80 and DNS traffic that occurred during that time, so if you're concerned about privacy (which I would be in this particular circumstance), you can PM me with a link to the capture and I'll look at it privately -- see my profile for kudos/etc. from folks here on DSLR/BBR as justification that I'm not going to violate your privacy or distribute the capture.

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
said by koitsu:

m0n0wall is based on FreeBSD; if it has a shell interface, has tcpdump, and has bpf device support enabled in the kernel or as a module (this is default), it should be able to do the capturing.

Yeah, I did look into that and saw where the guy wasn't getting the library stuff correct.

Let's reserve that option in case it is only very very necessary.

I'm keenly aware of the data I'll be sending you. I have to capture network data quite often when I troubleshoot the load balancers and web app firewalls at work - a medical facility.

Soon as a get a few free minutes, I'll whip everything up and document what the captures are for.

Do you want the capture of the entire video stream? Or just a few minutes?

Do you want me to stream a video for a bit, then switch to 1080p?

Then rinse and repeat with the claimed miracle fix?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
I'd like a capture starting prior to Youtube even being loaded/visited in the web browser. Start the capture, visit a Youtube video link in your browser, and let the capture go for about 5-10 seconds.

It would also be useful if the exact same could be repeated but with the supposed ""solution"" in place (assuming it works for you). Please make sure you visit the same Youtube URL in both captures, and please make sure to completely shut down/exit + restart your browser between captures.

I don't need the whole duration of the video stream captured -- what's being claimed is that TWC is in effect redirecting browsers to an alternate destination (specifically 173.194.55.0/24 or 206.111.0.0/16 netblocks) that is rate-limited; the claim seems to be that by blocking outbound packets to those destinations, the browser attempts to get the same content but from a different destination (i.e. a netblock not in either of those ranges) which is not rate-limited.

Thanks.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to isamu99
said by isamu99:

I couldn't reply to the original thread because it's too old, but anyway since that time I have just discovered this new method that fixes the Youtube throttle buffering issue! I tried it and it WORKS!!!!!!

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···youtube/

What DNS servers are you using?

I tinkered around last night with this. Adding the suggested IP blocks to my firewall did not change the crappy behavior of Youtube. Further, the rules were never engaged. Meaning, my browser never attempted to reach those networks.

I use a combination of Level 3 and Google DNS servers, FWIW. I would like to match my DNS settings up with yours and retest/re-packet-capture.

andy4theherd

join:2012-12-02
Ashland, KY
reply to isamu99
I switched from Windstream dsl to TWC a few months ago. One of the big reasons for the switch was Youtube buffering. I have a very stable 20/1 connection. I was still buffering a lot after the switch. I tried the fix from redit and saw no improvement. I also started having a lot of problems trying to watch streams on Twitch (never had issues on Twitch with dsl). I use Google Chrome with Adblock plus. The other day I uninstalled Adblock. Since doing this Youtube and Twitch are working 100% better. I haven't had a buffering message in two days.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
said by andy4theherd:

The other day I uninstalled Adblock. Since doing this Youtube and Twitch are working 100% better. I haven't had a buffering message in two days.

Adblock would be a commonality for all of my systems. I did notice Safari not having any issues what-so-ever when I was testing last night.

I did read through the Reddit article and someone pointed out that blocking the one network in the 200.x.x.x range broke his cell phone's ability to access the Play store. Which is probably not good.