share rss forum feed

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to markf

Re: Backing up to friend's computer

Syncrify works fine as long as you configure a Dynamic DNS account on the router of the pc that has the server component it, and you point the client to the dynamic dns address...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to markf

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to bookmark this thread for future reference.

I managed to get Crashplan to work. I had to put my PC in DMZ in my router, but once the connection was made, I was able to put it back behind the firewall with the ports forwarded in the router and Crashplan has been able to reconnect and sync. I'm doing a scheduled sync tonight so I'll see what happens with it.

Now that it is working, fingers crossed, the family member I'm syncing too is disappointed that he won't be able to see the files I send (they are just family pictures and video)....

This is what he gets for now, if I decide later that I want to change it, then I will look into some of the other options.

I really like the idea of ssh and not relying on third party solutions to make it work, but that's for another day I think.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Is it important that it reside on a local disk? BackBlaze is often cited as being a comparable service to CrashPlan (although there are differences in what they try to accomplish).

$5 a month, unlimited everything for one computer. Their blog is fun to read because they often post stories about their grand adventures at securing petabytes worth of cheap hard disks, like getting everybody on their staff banned from every local costco :P

EDIT: Ooh, their blog now has the scoop on their Storage Pod 3.0! Must read.

The blog was an entertaining read, however it does make me somewhat weary of storing my data with a company that's relying on Uncle Bob to pick up a couple of HDD's at Costco on his way home from work.

Having said that, their storage pods are very cool! (you know you're a geek when you can say that!)

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to markf

They're relying on that for cost reasons, but only since the Thailand floods; costs have still not come back down to the point where they were before. Before the floods, they didn't shuck externals, they got them through suppliers. It's actually a pretty ingenious way for a company like them to keep costs under control during a crisis in which the primary resource their company relies upon triples in price overnight.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to markf

said by markf:

Now that it is working, fingers crossed, the family member I'm syncing too is disappointed that he won't be able to see the files I send (they are just family pictures and video)....

A "family shared" folder has been suggested be a few people on the crash plan boards. The response from crashplan was basically good idea, maybe oneday, but for now we are focused on the backup portion of the program.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to markf

»www.bitcasa.com/

Anyone deal with this company yet? prices seem almost to good to be true. $69 a year for unlimited space.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
reply to markf

Another new option that looks fairly promising: »labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html