share rss forum feed

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

connecting two buildings

I need a couple of GBE runs between a house and a garage. I could bury cat5e but I think it makes more sense to just put single mode fiber in the ground and call it good. I've never worked with fiber before, so I'd like to ask for some pointers.

Both structures will have a switch with two SFP slots. I'm planning to buy a pair of 1000base-LX modules for each switch. The plan is to bury two pairs of fiber (and maybe a couple lengths of cat5e, just because) between the two buildings. So now the questions.

1. I'm looking at this pre-fab FO cable at monoprice: »www.monoprice.com/products/produ···format=2 The length should be fine, but there's no indication that this cable is suitable for outdoor or burial. Maybe somebody could recommend something more suitable for a 30m run?

2. I would like to use a small fiber patch panel, but I don't know how the connectors work. My SFPs will be LC connectors. So if I pick up a couple LC panels, are they female connectors front and back? Will a cable with LC ends like the monoprice one connect to the back of the panel, and a similar shorter cable with the same LC ends plug into the front of the panel and then into the SFP?

3. Anything else I should know before I take this on?

Thanks.
--
db

Smokeshow
Premium
join:2009-02-26
Cold Lake, AB
What you are looking at there is an indoor patch cable. The best thing to do here would be to bury a pvc conduit, and pull your cable through that. You'll probably want 1.25" pvc at a minimum if there will be any bends in it. You could use a patch panel, but it would be a waste, imo, for just a single pair of fiber.

mrjoshuaw

join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO
reply to clarknova
I would go with the conduit and place the fiber in that, plus if you want to then add the cat 5 or 6 cables in, it is available and open. When you run the fiber through the conduit just make sure you don't forget pull string for future expansion.

I would also do at least 1" min, gives you room for growth. If you can find it get the conduit that is on a spool (the typical orange for comm), don't use over rigid conduit, it will give you a smoother bend and can avoid a true 90 at the buildings like you would with rigid pvc.

I would also say you don't need a patch panel, but to be honest I have a 12 port patch panel in my house for four cat 5e cables. I just don't like the look of cables with ends on them coming out of a wall! But no, you wouldn't "need" a patch panel.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to clarknova
Thanks for the suggestions.
--
db