TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

2 edits

TigerLord to Thaler

to Thaler

Re: [SC2] Heart of the Swarm available for pre-purchase

said by Thaler:

I dunno, it just makes their interactions just damn silly. Like watching one heinous mega villain go after a less heinous one.

Sarah Kerrigan was a Ghost operative for Mengsk for years. She was even running the spec-op program at some point according to the lore. During a mission in the original SC, Mengsk decides to abandon her on an infested planet. She was overun by the Zergs, but because she was a powerful psionic user, the Overmind decided to infest her and turn her into a Zerg agent instead of killing her.

At that point she lost her mind and became someone else, first serving the Overmind, then became a bitch of her own.

At the end of WoL, she is "cured" from the Zerg infestation and reverts back to her prior self, forgetting all that happened while she was Kerrigan.

In HotS, she goes through another kind of transformation on Zerus, the birthplace of the Zergs, inside the first original spawning pool. That leaves her more powerful than she ever were, but it left her freewill intact. This time she is not infested or mind controlled. She is simply evolved.

The atrocities she committed as the Queen of Blades were not Sarah Kerrigan's fault. During HotS, she does kill innocents in the name of revenge, and that kind of moral ambiguity is addressed in the narrative. During the end of a mission, she lets innocents go.

Mengsk sacrificed millions on the altar of grandiosity. He's the only true piece of shit in this story.

Here:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

Edit: Finished the campaign on Brutal. Korhal presented a good challenge.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

At that point she lost her mind and became someone else, first serving the Overmind, then became a bitch of her own.

At the end of WoL, she is "cured" from the Zerg infestation and reverts back to her prior self, forgetting all that happened while she was Kerrigan.

In HotS, she goes through another kind of transformation on Zerus, the birthplace of the Zergs, inside the first original spawning pool. That leaves her more powerful than she ever were, but it left her freewill intact. This time she is not infested or mind controlled. She is simply evolved.

The atrocities she committed as the Queen of Blades were not Sarah Kerrigan's fault. During HotS, she does kill innocents in the name of revenge, and that kind of moral ambiguity is addressed in the narrative. During the end of a mission, she lets innocents go.

I guess the mind control aspects of the past needed to be more heavily emphasized. I played through the campaigns and that never seemed to come up. The character just seemed like someone who'd shred an entire planet for shits. Without the explanation, that scene where she kills the downed commander and lets the wounded troops go seemed arbitrary and/or borderline bipolar.

Maybe I need to replay/reread things, as I missed that explanation of the differences of then and now. I just figured it was the same old Queen of Blades, new tricks, and the audience is supposed to support her as the more "preferred" monster over Mengsk because...sex appeal? Hell if I knew.

Granted, in a choice between SC1's Queen of Blades and Mengsk, there wasn't a lot of reasons to root for one over the other. Both were just murder machines.