(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: Won't be a market for it

said by skeechan:

They won't be able to do it until there is demand for it. There won't be demand for it because you need churn in the hardware. 4K will not be cheaper than 1080P just like 1080P still isn't cheaper than the 720P sets.

Eventually 4K will be popular but not for a very long time.

You say 3D never took off yet many entries level TV's now come with it. If there is no demand, why are they so cheap? My father bought a 55'' 3D LG TV a week ago at 799, and that the normal price.

As far as no one replacing it if it isnt broken, that maybe true for you, but I replaced my 46'' TV with a 55'' TV and the 46'' TV wasnt broken.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

3D isn't the driver of HDTV demand. People buy that LG set because it is 55 inches for 800 bucks. If 3D was the demand driver you would see WAY more 3D content. 3D was all hype and ooh and ahh, but it is a failure in the marketplace. The market simply doesn't care about 3D.

HDTVs are cheap because they are produced in very high volume and it took nearly 20 years of HDTV sales to get to this place.

There are always exceptions. There will be 3 people who buy 4K now just as you are an exception that replaces a working TV. But the market in general doesn't replace near new working appliances and to get 4K anywhere near as cheap as current HDTV's you would need that to happen.

4K will always be more expensive than 1080P just as 1080P is more expensive than 720P sets.

That isn't to say 4K won't eventually be popular...it just won't happen any time in the near future. It will be years and years and years away.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

4k will be as much a 'niche' as the ipad retina. As long as the networks keep a decent bitrate (they won't), or at least one, and as long as bluray looks amazing it will take off. Maybe slowly at first but it will.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

That is fine if a 4K TV were as cheap as an iPad. Point one out to me that is and I'll buy one. I was eyeballing a 4K TV and it was 5X the price of the previous poster's new LG.

The market will ignore 4K just as it ignored 3D and D-VHS.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

That is fine if a 4K TV were as cheap as an iPad. Point one out to me that is and I'll buy one. I was eyeballing a 4K TV and it was 5X the price of the previous poster's new LG.

The market will ignore 4K just as it ignored 3D and D-VHS.

... And SACD and DVD audio. Unless 100" TVs become commonplace, regular people don't care about that level of quality.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

You say 3D never took off yet many entries level TV's now come with it. If there is no demand, why are they so cheap?

Manufacturers are dumping inventory. If 3D was all that, the monitors would be priced more that $799.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

The market simply doesn't care about 3D..

1. Glasses
2. Dizziness
3. Nausea
-
3d will never be anything other than a fad.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by dvd536:

said by skeechan:

1. Glasses
2. Dizziness
3. Nausea
-

It's sad that the 3D effect in the 3DS doesn't bug me much at all but the glasses one does.

That and even on the glasses-based 3D, there's two different ways... one which requires expensive, powered glasses but gives you a full resolution's worth per eye, or the kind that can use cheaper glasses, but causes some bad interlacing on text or any smaller details.

So yea, the handheld console seems to 'get' a proper 3D effect better than the big-arsed tv's that these companies want to sell so badly.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

said by dvd536:

said by skeechan:

1. Glasses
2. Dizziness
3. Nausea
-

It's sad that the 3D effect in the 3DS doesn't bug me much at all but the glasses one does.

That and even on the glasses-based 3D, there's two different ways... one which requires expensive, powered glasses but gives you a full resolution's worth per eye, or the kind that can use cheaper glasses, but causes some bad interlacing on text or any smaller details.

So yea, the handheld console seems to 'get' a proper 3D effect better than the big-arsed tv's that these companies want to sell so badly.

Active glasses you are talking about
This is a sub-selection from Won't be a market for it