FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to skeechan

Re: Won't be a market for it

said by skeechan:

You would need the majority to do it to get a decent price point and it isn't going to happen. Consumers just got their HDTVs and the hardware lasts too long. Like other appliances, TVs aren't replaced until they break.

For many years 4K will be a niche that no one cares about just like 3D is. In 2023, perhaps, 2017, no way.

+1

And the niche initially will be Sports Bars when live sports can be put in 4K. They can write off the hardware and monthly costs as business expenses.
--
Senate - get off your butts and actually create a budget that has spending cuts 3x the amount of tax increases like you promised.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

As the previous poster stated, the niche will be big sets, but not everyone has room for a 90" set unless they have a room dedicated to it. In most family rooms 65" is about as big as ya will want and there isn't a big difference between 1080P and 4K at 65" and 14ft...not big enough to justify dropping $3K to replace an otherwise working HDTV.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
I think you are right in that having just purchased a big HDTV will be the main factor limiting 4k uptake but I personally know more than one person that would get it simply because it it the latest 'thing' and they will HAVE TO have it. True they don't make a market by themselves but it is a common marketing phenomenon. If (and it's a big if) the stores offer credit for 'trade ins' if your old HDTV I could see it making a big difference... Craigslist is also a more and more popular outlet as people look to get rid of useful stuff. I think this will be a good test of the 'American Consumer Machine'.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX
reply to skeechan
skeechan, are you suggesting that companies just give up in trying to build the next "better mouse trap?" That's what R&D is supposed to do and since 3D failed the next front runner is 4K. I agree with you that that state of US ISPs is a poor environment to deploy this 4K tech but if consumer desire is there for the hardware the ISPs have no option but to start planning for 4K and that will benefit the US internet infrastructure for all.

But by all means... give up.

In the mean time I'll continue to work in R&D making 10Gb Ethernet better for businesses intranets.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
still only 10GB Ethernet? I thought we were at 40GB by now...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to axiomatic
Read what I posted. I said there won't be a market for it...as in it won't see widespread adoption for many years. It will be a niche product. Ferrari's are a niche product to. No one is saying don't produce it. What I'm saying is Netflix is wasting their time.

VentShop

join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK
The major reason why 3D didn't catch on very well is the limited viewing angles, quality while in the home and lack of content.

The 4K tv's are slated to have the ability to do 3D without glasses and even before then much of the content already available is able to be refreshed for the higher resolutions. If Netflix is jumping on the wagon and getting the content ready it won't be long before people start using it.

It's more of a build it and they will come rather than a wait and see game.