All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

Need to find new sink aerator, company won't return calls!

Our house was built around 2004-2005, and we have a faucet in our kitchen manufactured by Kona Faucet:

The aerator is all plugged up, worn down and corroded from years of use, so we need a replacement. I went to my local Home Depot and was promptly told that they don't have anything big enough to fit (apparently these things have been "standardized" for the past little while and they only carry 3 set sizes), and I was told to give the manufacturer a call.

Problem is, even though they have a working website, they won't return my calls or respond to my emails. Their Toronto office has closed down and their Montreal distributor (that Kona links to) claims they've only ever sold cell phones.

The threads on the aerator are 1" diameter, although the faucet itself is thicker, around 1.25". I'll put some pictures below, but my question is this: was the Home Depot guy right? Do I have no chance of replacing this aerator besides the manufacturer? Could anybody possibly point me to a plumbing supply site or something I could use in lieu of a genuine Kona aerator?

Thanks very much

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Could you try taking it apart, noting the sequence, and soaking it in vinegar? That will clean most of the lime and crud out. I may work after this treatment.

Is there a real plumbing wholesale distributor in the area? Like one where you see "Joe's Plumbing" tuck parked getting supplies? They may have parts or can put you on to where to get them.

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

said by pende_tim:

Could you try taking it apart, noting the sequence, and soaking it in vinegar? That will clean most of the lime and crud out. I may work after this treatment.

Is there a real plumbing wholesale distributor in the area? Like one where you see "Joe's Plumbing" tuck parked getting supplies? They may have parts or can put you on to where to get them.

The problem is the plastic itself has degraded to a point where it no longer stays inside the metal housing, so we'd need a complete replacement (even if it was just something we could put inside the housing). I was planning on heading down to my local plumbing supply place tomorrow, but figured I'd hedge my bets by posting this thread ahead of time. Thanks for the suggestions!

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to squircle

MVM

to squircle
Kona that made your faucet doesn't appear to be the Kona that's around today. Kona's website circa 2005 listed 3 models of faucets, one of which was Moda. Elkay has a Moda faucet line that looks fairly similar to your faucet. Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe one was based off the other or the product line was taken over.

Google "Elkay LK7522" for pictures. Parts list is here and has 3 different part numbers for aerators based on finish.

Good luck. And next time get a name brand that you recognize.

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

said by cdru:

We would have if we'd had the option; this one was installed by the builder!

Thanks for those links. I'll send them an email, see what I can find, and if worse comes to worse, I'll just by it and see. From the diagram though, it seems like the faucet end is outside-threaded instead of inside-threaded as this one is. I guess we'll find out. Thanks again!
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to squircle

to squircle
my approach in this kind of situation is to go to a wholesaler, and acknowledge that you are going to be a nuisance - you want something that costs little, and there is no way they can make money on you.

I did this when I needed an aerator for a Kohler faucet, and they special ordered it, no charge.

There ae still people that care.

In any case, you likely have one of many Kona faucets in your area. Some distributor handled them.

Walking in is better than calling.

Good luck.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah to squircle

to squircle
Bring the assembly to a Plumbing Supply that is a Kona Dealer. Most will deal with the General Public.
Odds are, the plastic inserts are standardized and will fit quite a few models.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to squircle

to squircle
It looks like a standard aerator to me. You can find one at Home Depot or an Ace hardware for a few bucks! Most name brand plumbing fixtures don't use proprietary parts.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
said by squircle:

The problem is the plastic itself has degraded to a point where it no longer stays inside the metal housing, so we'd need a complete replacement (even if it was just something we could put inside the housing).

You could get a reasonable replica of the whole aerator or just the plastic part made. You could ask this person for advice because he mentioned making a better version than someone else in some 3D printer site. »www.thingiverse.com/Kuli ··· /designs
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
As pende_tim said, why not try a plumbing supply store right in your town?

This is not something suited to Home Depot. That's like asking Timmies to cater a state dinner for the Governor General.

----------------------------------

McKeough Supply
35 Baffin Place, Waterloo
Tel: 519–885–1260

Marks Supply
300 Arnold Street, Kitchener
Tel: 519-578-5560

If these sorts of guys don't have a suitable part, they can probably suggest someone who [can] help, or suggest some other solution....

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

said by PX Eliezer1:

As pende_tim said, why not try a plumbing supply store right in your town?

Thanks for the addresses, but I don't actually live in Waterloo. Those places won't be of much use to me until I go back to school! Thanks for reminding me to update my location though.
squircle

squircle to capecoddah

to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

Bring the assembly to a Plumbing Supply that is a Kona Dealer. Most will deal with the General Public.
Odds are, the plastic inserts are standardized and will fit quite a few models.

Apparently there is no such thing as a "Kona Dealer"; they're a Chinese company that nobody around here has ever heard of. Doesn't surprise me that the builder of this house would've used cheap, crappy faucets. Everything else they used was crap...
squircle

squircle to harald

to harald
said by harald:

Good luck.

Seems like I didn't have much luck; nobody around here has ever heard of them. I went to the local plumbing supply place where I was told "I've been doing this for 40 years and have never heard of Kona. You may as well just replace the damn thing."

I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

Consider a generic plastic aerator until you get around to changing out the faucet. Whatever you put in now may be "dated" in 5 years anyway.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to squircle

MVM

to squircle
Did you take the existing parts with you when you visited any of the plumbing supply places??? It could be they have something that will fit, but not under that brand name. I know, I try to always take the old one with me when I have to buy replacement parts. I can't tell you how many times I've been told, "We don't carry that brand", but upon seeing the old one, the clerks/salesmen have found something else that fits/works just as well. There's no better substitute for having the old piece, whether it's broken or worn out, when trying to match up some "off-brand" item. It's been my experience that some of the smaller stores are much more helpful in finding oddball stuff than the big box stores. I deal with several "Mom & Pop" shops and I have nothing but praise for most of them. I've heard more than once, "We don't have that, but 'so-and-so' down the road does!" Often, they'll make the call for me as I stand there... just to verify the other shop has one in stock.

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

Yes, I brought it along and they were still baffled.

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to squircle

to squircle
At my local lowes depot, they have thing you can screw the aerator on to to fine the right size. They have probably 20 or 30 different aerators. Its in the plumbing repair aisle.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to squircle

to squircle
said by squircle:

Yes, I brought it along and they were still baffled.

If they are young enough to have pimples or smoke the reefer, they will be baffled by anything.

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
CT

Nightwing to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
Look at some of these. You might find something that works.

»plumbing.hardwarestore.c ··· ers.aspx

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
If all else fails, replace the faucet with one that is a better brand like Moen, Delta or Price Pfister.

I have a special aerator on my kitchen faucet so it can accept the hookup of a portable dishwasher.

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

Google "Elkay LK7522" for pictures. Parts list is here and has 3 different part numbers for aerators based on finish.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I called Elkay and the aerator is inside-threaded, not outside-threaded. Right diameter, wrong placement unfortunately. Thanks though!
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
said by squircle:

Problem is, even though they have a working website, they won't return my calls or respond to my emails. Their Toronto office has closed down and their Montreal distributor (that Kona links to) claims they've only ever sold cell phones.

It sure [is] hard to find info on this company.

Website is in Poland, and they are seeking to hire staff in Poland.

But the website is registered in the name of Geann Industrial Co., Ltd. of Taiwan!

In the US, they seem to be related to a company called KOTAN INTERNATIONAL L.L.C. with an address in Wilmington, Delaware.

But that address turns out just to be for an agent that arranges for companies to get incorporated in Delaware, and serves as a mail drop.

(Delaware has corporate-friendly laws, so incredibly huge numbers of US companies are incorporated in Delaware but basically just have mail drops there. You only need one state to make your company legal....)

I am really good at doxing, but these Kona guys might as well be CIA for how wrapped up they are!

Good luck.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
Quit wasting your time and buy a new one.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to squircle

MVM

to squircle
From the pics you posted, I really don't see anything that cannot be brought back by a good soak in CLR or some other mineral deposit remover. I think you gave up too soon.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Nightwing

Premium Member

to Nightwing
First do this: "At my local lowes depot, they have thing you can screw the aerator on to to fine the right size. They have probably 20 or 30 different aerators. Its in the plumbing repair aisle." and get the thread size then do this:
said by Nightwing:

Look at some of these. You might find something that works.

»plumbing.hardwarestore.c ··· ers.aspx

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

From the pics you posted, I really don't see anything that cannot be brought back by a good soak in CLR or some other mineral deposit remover. I think you gave up too soon.

I agree for the plastic insert part. Good stuff. The metal outer part could be negatively affected if it has zinc. Even if it is not zinc, the color could differ after a soak in CLR.

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle to Pacrat

to Pacrat
The problem isn't shown well in the photos but the plastic part is cracked and is causing problems. I'll try it again, though.

jodiedunnit
@sbcglobal.net

jodiedunnit to squircle

Anon

to squircle
looks like a kohler
www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-K-6334-Matte-Black-Single-Handle-Kitchen-Faucet-with-Side-Spray-from-the-/380581661395?pt=US_Faucets&hash=item589c6f4ad3
35245635 (banned)
join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA

35245635 (banned) to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

Quit wasting your time and buy a new one.

+1 - I'd just buy a new one. I stick with Moen myself as their customer service has always been great for me. Instead of trying to find an aerator if it was a Moen you'd make a call and have a new one shipped to you free.

What happens when a gasket wears out or another part breaks? Save yourself the time and replace now!