how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL

[DSL] bridge mode on Sagemcom f@st2864.

I just read that bridge mode seems limited to around 35mbps on the Sagemcom f@st2864.

If that is what TekSavvy is going to sell and the limit is true, it puts a crimp in my plans for 50/10 DSL,

Roop

join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON

where'd you read that?

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL

Canadian Broadband, I think kovy said it and he would know.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
reply to bjlockie

If this is true it's really not cool...

Is anyone using a 7330 ALU compatible VDSL2 standalone modem? I know a few people have VDSL2 equipped Cisco's but I'm looking for an option to put between my N66u and the ALU.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

Yeah, that's what I had. I don't know if this a problem with every firmware... but it's a problem on the latest one. But If I put the router in DHCP, i would get full speed. It's really only when bridge mode is done with the router it's limited to 30-35mbps.

Seems teksavvy is selling their own... not sure if it's good or not.

I found another modem for the 7330 SLAM (modem only with 4 ports) getting full speed in bridgde mode.

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

said by kovy:

Yeah, that's what I had. I don't know if this a problem with every firmware... but it's a problem on the latest one. But If I put the router in DHCP, i would get full speed. It's really only when bridge mode is done with the router it's limited to 30-35mbps.

I found another modem for the 7330 SLAM (modem only with 4 ports) getting full speed in bridgde mode.

Not sure i am following what you are saying here?

when you put the modem in dhcp mode (so NOT in bridge mode) it tops out at 35?

Bridge mode would mean the modem does NOTHING but pass packets to the router which would do all the work.

kovy

said by PlatooN:

said by kovy:

Bridge mode would mean the modem does NOTHING but pass packets to the router which would do all the work.

No,

DHCP = full speed

Bridge mode = 35mbps

The real issue here, is the Bell Sagemcom doesn't have a Bridge mode option... so it constanly trying to do a PPPOE session.

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

said by kovy:

said by PlatooN:

said by kovy:

No,

DHCP = full speed

Bridge mode = 35mbps

The real issue here, is the Bell Sagemcom doesn't have a Bridge mode option... so it constanly trying to do a PPPOE session.

i see
thanks for clearing that up.

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to kovy

said by kovy:

Is it that the Bell locked software doesn't have a bridge mode option or even unlocked software doesn't do a proper bridge mode?

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

said by bjlockie:

said by kovy:

Is it that the Bell locked software doesn't have a bridge mode option or even unlocked software doesn't do a proper bridge mode?

To put it bluntly, it's running embedded linux (vxworks?) and is FULL of GPL violations. If we could get a copy of the firmware, we MIGHT be able to come up with a new firmware and a JTAG setup to change it.

.... LMFAO .... Ya I think pigs will learn to fly first.
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

kovy

reply to bjlockie

said by bjlockie:

said by kovy:

The Bell one doesn't have it, the unlocked I have no idea.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

Do these speed limiters also include doing the test@test config? That is supposed to remove the PPPoE hunt the modem does. Not a real bridge mode but as good as it gets.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by vikingisson:

Do these speed limiters also include doing the test@test config? That is supposed to remove the PPPoE hunt the modem does. Not a real bridge mode but as good as it gets.

That doesn't help.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to vikingisson

There seems to be a reset on Bells end that resets the modem to the SCblah88 login and defaults the whole thing... when using test@test | test
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
reply to zacron

vxworks is not Linux.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VxWorks

kovy

reply to vikingisson

said by vikingisson:

When doing double PPPOE (one in the modem and one in the router) I would only get 30mbps instead of 37ish.

And when I took off the PPPOE session in the modem or even just type it with a wrong password... it would reset and put the original id of the samgecom after a few minutes.

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
reply to bjlockie

I hope Mark is looking into this.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1

I have a Sagemcom f@st2864.

It does NOT have a native bridged mode.

It does have PPPoE pass-thru, but it's quality is sub acceptable.

For best results I had to do the following,

Disable wifi,
Disable IPTV,
do NOT plug in any USB devices to Sagemcom,
do NOT plug in any other netwo
set your PPPoE in the Sagemcom,
connect a router with a WAN with 1gb full duplex,
do NOT plug in any other network devices than the router to the Sagemcom,
using the routers WAN MAC configure the Sagemcom DHCP to assign a static IP, (x.x.x.2),
set DMZ in Sagemcom to to routers IP (x.x.x.2),
on the router set it to use DHCP on the WAN - with NAT,

all ports from the public IP address on the Sagemcom will pass to the routers private IP on the WAN port, allowing NAT/UPNP to function on the router.

This was the only way to get full speed with no issues using a Sagemcom + router for me.

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

That configurations sounds fine for speed. But it worrisome since it means all connections will be established by the Sagemcom. It's fine for single users or maybe video streams, but things that need alot of connections, like torrents for Linux ISOs (I use linux and I do get ISOs) might bog down the modem too much for it to work properly. Another issue could be the packet scheduling when the upstream gets saturated.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to BTC Kevin

said by BTC Kevin:

I have a Sagemcom f@st2864.

It does NOT have a native bridged mode.

It does have PPPoE pass-thru, but it's quality is sub acceptable.

For best results I had to do the following,

Disable wifi,
Disable IPTV,
do NOT plug in any USB devices to Sagemcom,
do NOT plug in any other netwo
set your PPPoE in the Sagemcom,
connect a router with a WAN with 1gb full duplex,
do NOT plug in any other network devices than the router to the Sagemcom,
using the routers WAN MAC configure the Sagemcom DHCP to assign a static IP, (x.x.x.2),
set DMZ in Sagemcom to to routers IP (x.x.x.2),
on the router set it to use DHCP on the WAN - with NAT,

all ports from the public IP address on the Sagemcom will pass to the routers private IP on the WAN port, allowing NAT/UPNP to function on the router.

This was the only way to get full speed with no issues using a Sagemcom + router for me.

This is really not a great solution because of the double-NAT involved, DMZ not withstanding.

Ideally when the 50/10 availability is finalized we'll have a purchase option for a serviceable modem.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

said by SimplePanda:

This is really not a great solution because of the double-NAT involved, DMZ not withstanding.

Ideally when the 50/10 availability is finalized we'll have a purchase option for a serviceable modem.

Exactly. After the previous install with these bastard modems I've given up DSL completely until proper modems can be used and owned. Granted it all works after the disaster of bad firmware but double NAT and backdoor PPPoE connections is not desired. If it also limits full speed then it's just another reason

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Just wanted to add for those that still have the Cellpipes... They cannot handle 50meg either, they produce about 41-42mbps in pppoe passthru or routed mode.

So yeah, 50/10 will be an adventure for those who want to use their own routers, which is pretty much all of us in here I assume.

Bell better have a solution for this soon. I doubt its the hardware of the Sagemcom that is the issue, I'm pretty sure its just bad coding in firmware.
--

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

Do they both handle 25/10 well in pppoe pass thru though? Or is it prone to choking like a cheap router no matter how you use it?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Dcite:

Do they both handle 25/10 well in pppoe pass thru though? Or is it prone to choking like a cheap router no matter how you use it?

for 25/10 they're both fine.
--

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to SimplePanda

I have two different models of Zyxel modems which work fine with the 7330. I don't know about speed limits above 25 since I'm only on 25/10 but I certainly get the full 25/10. I believe that they are rated to 100 though. Someone hook me up with 50/10 and I'll test it

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Phibian:

I have two different models of Zyxel modems which work fine with the 7330. I don't know about speed limits above 25 since I'm only on 25/10 but I certainly get the full 25/10. I believe that they are rated to 100 though. Someone hook me up with 50/10 and I'll test it

What models? I would be clicking order already had you listed.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by Dcite:

for 25/10 they're both fine.

hehe.. fine-ish. I found the Sagemcom great for bridging at 25/10 but the Cellpipe I found would stall out frequently when in bridge mode, sometimes dropping the PPPoE connection. A PPPoE connection set on the Cellpipe would stay up without issue, but a bridge PPPoE passthrough would fail after at most 10 days, usually closer to 3 or 4. Logs on the router would show LCP-Echo timeouts and then the connection would drop.

So I'm pretty partial to the Sagemcom for bridging in so much as it doesn't randomly crash on me. Same issue with two separate CellPipe's I've had - one Ikanos, one ALU, and regardless of what router was being bridged to.

Rock solid with a Sagemcom on any router I use so I assumed it was a CellPipe issue.

The real PITA on this is that the Sagemcom is what's used with an ONT for FTTN service, and of course Bell still uses PPPoE in these situations. So using PPPoE on the Sagemcom as a router will run without issue well above 50 Mbps... The problem I guess is only bridging.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by SimplePanda:

The real PITA on this is that the Sagemcom is what's used with an ONT for FTTN service, and of course Bell still uses PPPoE in these situations. So using PPPoE on the Sagemcom as a router will run without issue well above 50 Mbps... The problem I guess is only bridging.

You can bypass the ONT, as long as you don't have FibeTV. You need a router that can assign a VLAN ID to its WAN port, and you can establish a PPPoE session to the ONT Directly.
--

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to SimplePanda

Ideally I'd want Bridged Mode enabled in the firmware. But that is wishful thinking on our part. haha

With no proper Bridged Mode we can only get PPPoE passthru over IP layer. Instead of hardware layer. Which is why the slow down.

If someone has a quality business router with the ability to set the outgoing WAN PPPoE MTU for the packets. Would be interested to see if lowering the MTU would improve through put. While in a PPPoE passthru set up.

Start with a 1472 MTU on outgoing PPPoE on the router then step it down by increments of 10.

Wouldn't surprise me if the PPPoE packets from the router are getting split apart by the Sagemcom.

I've seen this before with modems from Bell. I had to set down mine to close to 1300. A proper Bridged Modem of course wouldn't have that issue at all.

heyyahblah

join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

well that sucks. I'm with everyone else. I want to continue to use my ASUS N56U router. I'm not gonna use the built-in one with the Sagemcom modem if I go VDSL. I'm on the 15/1 service and I want to upgrade but I still want to be able to use my own router and not do some crazy configuration just to make it work.

Should be set it bridge, like my current ADSL2 modem and let the router handle the rest, i never have any time outs or dropped sessions or etc, .... so yea .... this news kinda sucks.

What I will be limited to the 25/10 service only if I want to use my own router?
--
Larry, Larry Laugher .. hehe