spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

arris404

@wideopenwest.com

Why is Arris TM502G interface unreachable when net drops?

Columbus, OH using the Arris TM502G. I've been experiencing periodic dropouts that usually last ~5 mins or so, speed.nap.wideopenwest.com unreachable, etc. When my connection is up and working normally I can always reach the Arris modem internally at 192.168.100.1. During these periodic dropouts the internal web server on the modem becomes unreachable.

My question is that regardless of the quality of my connection outside the house shouldn't I always be able to check the status page on the Arris modem? When the connection returns the Arris uptime counter does not indicate that it rebooted. Is it normal to not be able to access the Arris modem's status page during a connection outage?

Install techs said I had good signal levels and when the connection is up it's fast and stable. Do these symptoms suggest a failing modem?

ARRIS DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem HW_REV: 02
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 5.01
SW_REV: 6.1.127
MODEL: TM502G
Firmware Name: TS0601127_011112_MODEL_4_5
Firmware Build Time: Wed Jan 11 11:05:52 EST 2012

Downstream
Freq/Power: 621.000 MHz 0 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 37.000 MHz 46 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM64

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
The modem would remain reachable if the problem was somewhere between the modem and the internet. Two reasons I can think of where the modem would be unreachable would be if the problem existed on your local network, or if the modem was having issues itself. If you bypass any home network and plug directly into the modem, and this continues to happen, I would suggest having the modem replaced. If it doesn't happen when directly connected to the modem, then I would investigate your local network setup for issues.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer