Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to iansltx

Re: Won't be a market for it

I have had a CRT HDTV set since 2003. Supports 1080i and setup with hardware to pipe and scale to that resolution, stripping drm. Why? Because that set is sharper with better color than most LCDs and LEDs and I am not ready to retire it. So I used hardware I mostly had to adapt it. I do have some LEDs in other rooms but this CRT will keep its place in the house till ig dies. I bet many have the same feeling about post-HD advancements. I bought an hd set simply because ntsc resolutions give me a migraine. They are just awful. I think hd is good enough for most people and signal compression used by cable and satellite is typically the bottleneck during regular tv viewing. Ripped off the air broadcasts still look much better on 1080i, let alone 1080p. As a gamer, I can appreciate 4K, but not enough to replace a perfectly fine HDTV in this economy.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

travanx

join:2002-01-15
Altadena, CA
I miss my 2003 RPTV 1080i. But we moved into a space limited place 2 years ago and I got rid of it to get a cheap LCD to hang on the wall. Now we moved into a house and are looking for the biggest size we can fit, 65". Nothing I read says 4k is going to make a difference on that size. Does Netflix even do 1080p now?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Even if they did, resolution is meaningless. Compression is everything. Compression artifacts can kill apparent picture quality.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
reply to Selenia
My 1080i Philips CRT is still kicking too and unlike my DLP works well for my old light gun games.