share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

1 edit

Why only Mono 1.0 on black & white movies???

Why did they only use Mono 1.0 on black & white movies??? I mean shouldn't they have used at least Mono Fidelity??? When they come out with a black & white film on Blu-ray why don't they just reconvert the Mono audio to 2 channel Stereo High Fidelity, 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel in DTS-MA & Dolby TrueHD???

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
There's no point converting a low bandwidth mono audio to something else.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to floydb1982
Your receiver can probably send it to any combination of speakers using the fake surround settings.

I know my Yamaha does "7 Channel" and "7 Channel Enhanced" that takes whatever signal it's getting and throws it out to all the speakers.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to floydb1982
Because when they come out with a B&W film on bluray they tend to keep it true to its original format, both for video and audio.

It can't really be made better than it was originally and some attempts to "enhance" actually diminish the original source. It also pisses off the movie purists who want the movie unaltered

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to floydb1982
Because generally speaking, the original cast is in no state to re-record the soundtrack.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
reply to floydb1982
Because that's how the audio in those movies was recorded. Kind of like your question on why no widescreen version of Wizard of Oz.

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI
reply to floydb1982
Some 1.0 and 1.1 movies have been remastered into stereo or surround sound but for the most part the results are not impressive. Film purists prefer the original format so at least discs with the remastered sound typically also contain the original track as well.
--

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
Sony redid the audio for Terminator 1 and its worse than the original mono track. I trust the director over some sound guy working it on decades later.