uniqs
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to cypherstream

to cypherstream

Re: [STB] Cisco thinking of getting out of the set-top box busin

said by cypherstream:

STB's are just SO under-powered. I'd like to finally see this centuries based UI's on them and users to be able to just zip around them flawlessly and fluidly like you would on an iPhone or Android Jelly Bean. I know we had good discussion on this before, but I'd just like to say I'm eager to see this STB revolution... and for ALL providers (Cable, Satellite, IPTV).

Won't happen until either AllVid or some other IP streaming standard gets done for all providers. No one has any incentive to build STBs/DVRs for the masses right now because Cablecard sucks and is limited to cable and people don't want to pay for something that's decent, they'd rather rent.

You wouldn't need an STB for a new TV if there was an IP standard anyway, it would be built in. That's what RVU was supposed to be about for sat, well for DirecTV at least.

CAST SUCKS
@comcastbusiness.net

CAST SUCKS

Anon

said by GTFan:

said by cypherstream:

STB's are just SO under-powered. I'd like to finally see this centuries based UI's on them and users to be able to just zip around them flawlessly and fluidly like you would on an iPhone or Android Jelly Bean. I know we had good discussion on this before, but I'd just like to say I'm eager to see this STB revolution... and for ALL providers (Cable, Satellite, IPTV).

Won't happen until either AllVid or some other IP streaming standard gets done for all providers. No one has any incentive to build STBs/DVRs for the masses right now because Cablecard sucks and is limited to cable and people don't want to pay for something that's decent, they'd rather rent.

You wouldn't need an STB for a new TV if there was an IP standard anyway, it would be built in. That's what RVU was supposed to be about for sat, well for DirecTV at least.

RVU still needs a gateway and it forces it's GUI and it's the DVR.

we need to be able to buy the box with no mirroring / client / outlet fees. Like Canadian systems. Some of them have the Arris Gateway systems and you can buy the boxes unlike some of the us cable systems with the same system that have changed up to $15 /mo to rent the mini tv box that Candian system are selling for $138.00 - $200 to buy