uniqs

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

If this were Apple, there would be 90 comments by now

It's funny to see the difference in hatred between Android fan boys and Apple fan boys. If this were the day after the new iPhone was announced it was as underwhelming as what the S4 was, all of the Android fan boys would be coming out to talk about how great Android is.

Overall, the phone wasn't all that impressive to me. I was looking forward to this launch but was very unimpressed. The larger screen size is nice, but I wonder how that will make the phone to carry. It's in the range of a Galaxy Note now. The double picture feature is probably one of the stupidest features I've seen on a phone.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

Not sure what are you talking about, so far I haven't seen "positive" response from "android fanboys"
kram1984j
join:2009-12-06

kram1984j to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

It's funny to see the difference in hatred between Android fan boys and Apple fan boys. If this were the day after the new iPhone was announced it was as underwhelming as what the S4 was, all of the Android fan boys would be coming out to talk about how great Android is.

Balancing that, you'd also have the Apple fanboys saying how these new "underwhelming" features were each amazing innovations warranting a nobel prize for each and that apple should sue android mfrs for copying them two years earlier (panoramic photos?).
said by gigahurtz:

The larger screen size is nice, but I wonder how that will make the phone to carry. It's in the range of a Galaxy Note now.

I'm not sure where you get this idea from... the S4 is thinner, narrower, shorter, lighter than the S3... Yes, only marginally smaller on the dimensions, but it's a larger screen with smaller overall dimensions.
Beans5
join:2005-07-16
united state

Beans5 to Tomek

to Tomek
I dont know either, the apple folks were saying the same thing last year about the iphone not being big enough and bla, bla, bla, and even i agree that the iphone does need a plus to help compete with the note. That note is a phone i would have bought, but since i didnt do enough research on it, my fault. I do love the big screen on, soo much easier on the eyes.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to kram1984j

Premium Member

to kram1984j
My point is that in the time the phone was announced and this article was posted, if it was an Apple product you'd have a ton of comments of people talking about how underwhelming the phone is. Android fans love to jump all over Apple products. I don't see that with the S4, even though it was very underwhelming.
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

kerya666 to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
I don't know what exactly you mean by underwhelming, and what is your criteria for grading phones but I mainly look for hardware spec and then software/aesthetics - for me the phone has best hardware on the market as of now. I mean what did you expect for it to have? ICBMs and world annihilating lasers?

But yeah that double camera thing was weird, as well as picture with sound. But at least they are thinking out of the box...like I said earlier you can always get rid of them or not use it.

I don't know about all that fanboy-ism... maybe you should visit GSMArena... both sides are crazy.

In-fact I have a friend that was a right down Apple defending extremist... until he switched sides and now it is the other way around. Makes me wonder how many there are in Android camp just like him...heh

For the most part Apple gets flak for over-hyping everything and "inventing" things that existed for sometime before they even thought about it. And then suing competition into oblivion even if they used it before Apple and never applied for a patent.

I personally had numerous phones from both companies and overall Android system seems to fit me much better because of thorough customization. But that is personal opinion...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
Hatred of Apple fans is nothing new, I took heat in the '90s for liking Apple Computers. I got my first computer in 1999 and it was an iMac 333 MHz. Every computer I've owned since then was an Apple.

I like Apple products and I always will. Nobody is going to take that iPhone from my cold dead hands. All while I am writing this from my iPad Mini. And iTunes is my record store. My router is an Apple AirPort Extreme.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to kerya666

Premium Member

to kerya666
My point is this: the same comments were made about the iPhone 5 when it was released. They weren't "innovative enough". The phone was the same as the 4S, but with a bigger screen. It's the same on both sides.

I personally don't care. I purchase a phone that fits my needs, and I've owned both Android and Apple phones. They're both great and fit their niche in the market.
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

kerya666

said by gigahurtz:

My point is this: the same comments were made about the iPhone 5 when it was released. They weren't "innovative enough". The phone was the same as the 4S, but with a bigger screen. It's the same on both sides.

I personally don't care. I purchase a phone that fits my needs, and I've owned both Android and Apple phones. They're both great and fit their niche in the market.

Gotcha, I personally thought it was a good upgrade CPU/GPU wise between 4/4s/5 even thought they did go the lazy route on the screens...but like I said my criteria is different than many other people's.
said by IowaCowboy:

Hatred of Apple fans is nothing new, I took heat in the '90s for liking Apple Computers. I got my first computer in 1999 and it was an iMac 333 MHz. Every computer I've owned since then was an Apple.

I like Apple products and I always will. Nobody is going to take that iPhone from my cold dead hands. All while I am writing this from my iPad Mini. And iTunes is my record store. My router is an Apple AirPort Extreme.

Not to burst your bubble but all of your newer Apple computers/hardware are manufactured by the same "PC" manufacturers (never understood why they still differentiate PC and MAC since they are same hardware wise and both Personal Computers). Apple manufactures nothing these days.
So I guess in your case it's rather software (OS X) that you like more.
You are free to buy what you like but if you really like the OS X and want to spend less money then just build a custom hackintosh...much less compatibility problems and much cheaper hardware parts.

That is the beef I got with Apple...they overprice most hardware waaay too much.
Happydude32
Premium Member

2 recommendations

Happydude32 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Congratulations, do you want a cookie?

Seriously, is there ever a post you make that doesn’t contain a list of your overrated Apple stuff? Who are you trying to show off to? Who are you trying to impress? We all know you bow down to Apple. This isn’t high school, you don’t need to try to make yourself fit in because you think your cool by keeping up with the latest trends.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
An evaluation of the S4 vs iPhone:
»news.cnet.com/8301-13579 ··· 1_3-0-20
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

If this were the day after the new iPhone was announced it was as underwhelming as what the S4 was, all of the Android fan boys would be coming out to talk about how great Android is.

I think the specs are in line with expectations, nothing to complain about in that department.
I think the biggest deal is that Samsung is still making a cheap looking phone when the competition has moved on to devices with a more premium feel, that feature aluminum bodies that make their phones seem of higher quality. It would be cool if they came out with a carbon fiber body or something, since aluminum is nice, but bends quite easily.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
He also frequently posts about how he's never getting rid of cable, Charter sucks (they're right down the road) and how he's so glad that he has Comcast! lol

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by LightS:

He also frequently posts about how he's never getting rid of cable, Charter sucks (they're right down the road) and how he's so glad that he has Comcast! lol

As for not getting rid of cable, there is a lot more programming on cable than on OTA TV. I grew up on OTA TV (mom could not afford cable until I got to high school) and between the lack of programming and poor reception and picture quality associated with OTA TV, we decided to get cable and I never looked back.

As for Comcast vs Charter, while they both have a bad reputation, there has been discussion among the locals here in Western Mass that Comcast is the lesser of the two evils. I personally wish we had Time Warner here as Grandma has them and they're pretty good. Grandma switched her phone to them when FairPoint came to town.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

He also posts he is broke and can't afford to fix his car, yet he has a slew of over priced apple products

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

1 recommendation

Ctrl Alt Del to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

said by IowaCowboy:

Seriously, is there ever a post you make that doesn’t contain a list of your overrated Apple stuff? Who are you trying to show off to? Who are you trying to impress? We all know you bow down to Apple. This isn’t high school, you don’t need to try to make yourself fit in because you think your cool by keeping up with the latest trends.

I would like to ask the exact same questions to you about Android. You boast and brag how wonderful your Android phone is, parading hardware specifications like gospel, and berate anything Apple. You're just as guilty. Pot meet kettle.

I think the original point was, Samsung did the same thing Apple has been doing. Release a major device (Galaxy S3, iPhone 4), then release a minor improvement (Galaxy S4, iPhone 4S). I don't blame either of them, they've both hit their stride and probably don't want to mess with that works.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
I can afford to pay my monthly bills and none are past due. When you have a car that needs several thousands of dollars in work, then you have a mess on your hands. I got screwed in a used car deal and I'm pondering the idea of getting a legal opinion since I bought the car from a used car dealer.

As for being able to afford Apple products, I got the VZW subsidy on my iPhone and I used the device installment plan to buy the iPad.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Oh, I understand that. I personally don't like OTA TV (I have other things to spend my time on) but that would likely change once I get a family if they're interested in it. Personally, if I could get HBO Go, I would lol.

I'm just commenting on how I notice frequent comment trends from you

Btw, I've had time warner before - they're pretty good here in Texas, but really lacking in the speeds department..
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
said by Ctrl Alt Del:

said by Happydude32:

said by IowaCowboy:

I would like to ask the exact same questions to you about Android. You boast and brag how wonderful your Android phone is, parading hardware specifications like gospel, and berate anything Apple. You're just as guilty. Pot meet kettle.

I think the original point was, Samsung did the same thing Apple has been doing. Release a major device (Galaxy S3, iPhone 4), then release a minor improvement (Galaxy S4, iPhone 4S). I don't blame either of them, they've both hit their stride and probably don't want to mess with that works.

That’s because my Android phone is wonderful and completely destroys the iPhone. You really can’t argue that. I don’t repeat verbatim every single day, multiple times a day, how much better my Xperia tablet is better than the iPad, how much better my Envy 3D is than a Mac Book Pro, how much better my Walkman is over the iPod Touch. And when I do, I give specific examples on how or why Apple hardware is vastly inferior when compared to the competition. This guy doesn’t do that. He just posts the same stuff, and rattles it off over and over with nothing to back it up.

As for the GS4, while I am not a big fan of Samsung smartphones, I think it is a significant upgrade. Slightly larger display at a much higher resolution and 8 core processor, are the two big things. The camera resolutions I really don’t care about. The image quality is good enough at around 8MP, but better zoom capabilities are needed.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

I can only speak for myself, not the one who shares all his equipment.
said by Happydude32:

That’s because my Android phone is wonderful and completely destroys the iPhone. You really can’t argue that. I don’t repeat verbatim every single day, multiple times a day, how much better my Xperia tablet is better than the iPad, how much better my Envy 3D is than a Mac Book Pro, how much better my Walkman is over the iPod Touch. And when I do, I give specific examples on how or why Apple hardware is vastly inferior when compared to the competition. This guy doesn’t do that. He just posts the same stuff, and rattles it off over and over with nothing to back it up.

If all you're concerned about is having bigger numbers in your specification sheet then maybe, but I would argue that Apple sometimes has a better product. Not always, they have a history of shipping shit as well (don't get me started). Apple doesn't play by numbers in spec sheets, they don't do the MHz war, they go for experiences. They've even say so in their keynotes. You don't have to buy into that, but you should at least understand it. I preferred my iPhone 5 over the competition when I bought it (mainly the S3). The hardware and software accomplishes my needs, just wish the thing could last 3 days without needing a charge.

For example, as amazing the Galaxy S3 is with it's iPhone 5 beating hardware on paper, the default messaging app doesn't show you any of the conversation when in landscape mode, and the phone will not charge when using GPS in Google navigation using any of the USB car chargers I own. I could wipe TouchWiz off the phone and throw Cyanogen on there, but then I loose all Samsung specific tweaks that I do like, including the work they did to hardware accelerate the web browser and ECO mode to conserve battery life. I chose the iPhone 5 with it's smaller screen and weaker CPU because it simply had a better experience in what I actually use the phone for.
said by Happydude32:

As for the GS4, while I am not a big fan of Samsung smartphones, I think it is a significant upgrade. Slightly larger display at a much higher resolution and 8 core processor, are the two big things.

But only 4 of those cores are allowed to be active at once. It's a neat trick: 4 low power cores and 4 high power cores. For low demand the 4 low power cores are active. Run something demanding and the other 4 high power cores become active. But I don't see the point, the majority of this power goes unused, and instead is just wasted CPU die space. And I wonder what the battery life will be like. To me Samsung is playing the same game you do: more bigger numbers == better. I disagree. There are always tradeoffs, with a CPU the biggest probably being battery life.
said by Happydude32:

The camera resolutions I really don’t care about. The image quality is good enough at around 8MP, but better zoom capabilities are needed.

You said it yourself. Some specs people don't really care about.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I care about hardware specs using an operating system that is highly customizable and provides the end user with the freedom to do whatever the hell they want with the devices they shelled out a good amount of money for. The more powerful the hardware the better it can handle the software. I do not understand the whole ‘user experience’ thing as the only thing I experienced as an iPhone user was the feeling of wanting to throw the damn thing against the wall or the feeling of embarrassment and shame as I watched new products coming out that had features that surpassed the so called ‘state of the art’ iPhone that I spent $300 on. Never owned a Mac computer, owned three iPods and iPhone and almost bought an iPad. There’s my list that I’ll rattle off. I find the whole ‘experience’ annoying, boring and restrictive. iTunes is a piece of shit garbage software program and holds too much control over how you interface with your other iCrap. Why in the hell would anyone want to conform to the amount of control Apple puts in with their ‘user experience’ is completely beyond me. Back in the ‘90s everyone cried, bitched and moaned how big bad Microsoft included their browser with Windows, fast forward a few years and Apple is the greatest thing around even though they assume you’re a complete idiot and force you to use their shitty software in conjunction with their devices.

Apple shows very little to no innovation and because their iOS is not very dynamic and very boring and doesn’t need the power real smartphone do. So I guess yeah, you’re correct. iOS is so lame. Why waste a Core i7 Extreme processor and 24 GB of RAM on a dumb terminal that runs DOS all day, right? The lack of a truly attractive, innovative and interactive UI means it doesn’t need a multi core processor at higher clock rates. And their own hardware limitations are their excuse when it comes to limitations of the OS. Multitasking for example. What a joke that was. The stupid iPhone didn’t have the power to support streaming Sirius XM or Shoutcast while using other apps. That was Apples excuse. Funny how not only could their own iPod app do that, but you could achieve multitasking by jailbreaking, and it worked fine.

As for the messaging app, well that’s the great thing about Android. Don’t like the stock app? Find a replacement. Yes, using the phone as a GPS consumes a lot of power, but I’ve never had the phone not charge because of using Google Nav. It will charge considerably slower, but it won’t stop charging. I used Google Nav all the time with my previous job, never had an issue. I use the standard Micro USB charger that I got from Sprint almost 3 years ago when I got the Evo. That was four phones ago, and I’m still using the same charger. Didn’t have to buy a new charger or some adaptor because the hardware manufacture has a habit of being a prick and having proprietary connections. But I suppose last year when I was out and about for work and broke my thumb and couldn’t get it to stop bleeding after a few hours, instead of having Google Nav, I could have had an iPhone and used iMaps to look for the nearest Urgent Care type place only to have it navigate me to the middle of the Sahara Desert.

Not sure I really care about how each of the cores in the processor of the phone will be utilized. The point is they are there if needed helping with overall performance. This would be most useful in using two apps at the same time, like that can be done with the Note. Battery life, I don’t care about. Least important spec, ever. As long as I can make it a full work day on a charge, and I can, I don’t care. And I don’t do stupid shit like disable mobile data or take the brightness down. I pay for mobile data, I want it on all the time! I have the first phone with a 1080p display, I want to see that display in it’s full glory! That’s the great thing about the so called ’fragmentation’ of Android. If I cared about battery life I could have got the Droid Razr HD Maxx, which is a nice phone. I don’t care about that as much as I do a few other things, so the Droid DNA is what I got. I would care about a 13MP camera on a phone if it had real zoom capabilities, I don’t really take many pictures with my phone, but nothing beats a good SLR, unless all you want to do is taken pictures of drunken stupidity to post on Facebook, in which case the camera on a phone is fine.

You talk about user experience, but having a more open environment, and using widely adapted standards is the only experience I care about. Give me a standard like DLNA on the software side, Micro USB on the hardware side and I’m all set. None of this proprietary horseshit that locks you into one manufactures ways.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

My point is that in the time the phone was announced and this article was posted, if it was an Apple product you'd have a ton of comments of people talking about how underwhelming the phone is. Android fans love to jump all over Apple products. I don't see that with the S4, even though it was very underwhelming.

It was whelming enough that Apple went in to Marketing overdrive to defend themselves - something Apple rarely does. They usually ignore the competition.

Story: »9to5mac.com/2013/03/16/f ··· android/

The iPhone page slamming Android:
»www.apple.com/iphone/why ··· 00&sr=em

I even got an emal linking to the page above.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
Underwhelming? It's smaller, and yet a bigger, higher resolution screen, even better camera, and more new features, and it's slightly lighter to boot. It's actually awesome and is a flagship phone. I wouldn't describe it as underwhelming.

That said, I love my S3 running Wicked ROM and am in no hurry to change. If I didn't have an S3 I'd be buying one but for now I'm just fine. The S3 is slick and powerful, especially debloated.
KrK

KrK to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
Just like Apple fanboi's post about how underwhelming and ho-hum the S4 is, while going after Android fans?

Hmmm.... pot.... kettle.... black?

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

So are you saying that I am a fan boy simply because I found the phone underwhelming? That's interesting. I actually enjoy Android phones but I get it kick out of how defensive many Android users get when someone insults one of their phones.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 edit

KrK

Premium Member

No, I'm saying posting a thread that says "If this were Apple, Fandroids would be _________" In other words, acting like an Apple Fanboi, because that's exactly what they do day in and day out, is post posts attacking people who don't by Apple.

Whether or not you are or aren't an Apple fan, your post comes off like you are. Especially since it begins with calling the S4 underwhelming, like it's a disappointment. It's actually pretty awesome.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by KrK:

Whether or not you are or aren't an Apple fan, your post comes off like you are. Especially since it begins with calling the S4 underwhelming, like it's a disappointment. It's actually pretty awesome.

Lots of people are calling the Galaxy S4 underwhelming, and many are saying the same things that was said about the iPhone 5: "It's the same phone, but bigger and faster, and some software gimmicks." In fact, the majority of the S4 hardware was leaked ahead of time, just like the iPhone 5. I personally am more interested in the HTC One. That is a gorgeous phone with some hardware power. That's the real showcase.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

The HTC One will be an awesome device, I've looked at it. I think HTC is pulling out the stops to bring a superb device to bolster their position against Apple and Samsung who are the clear heavyweights in market now, both domestically and worldwide.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how friendly the HTC phones are to custom ROM's and unlocking. The Samsung phones are extremely supportive of it.