Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kram1984j

join:2009-12-06
reply to Thaler

Re: Ugly ass TouchWiz...

said by Thaler:

but no explanations as to why a root vs. stock.

remove bloatware applications, customize UI, Titanium Backup and similar apps, wifi tether, multiview for all apps.... but these apply to root (and root with touchwiz if including the multiview mods), not specific to installing AOSP/CM.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

said by kram1984j:

said by Thaler:

but no explanations as to why a root vs. stock.

remove bloatware applications, customize UI, Titanium Backup and similar apps, wifi tether, multiview for all apps.... but these apply to root (and root with touchwiz if including the multiview mods), not specific to installing AOSP/CM.

I understand the removal of bloatware, but the hardware itself is beyond overkill for any hangups that might occur. Other than occupying some of the 16 GB of internal memory, is there a problem with the stock software, even if it is bloat?

kram1984j

I didn't order those things from most to least important. stock is ok and yes the bloatware you can just hide from the app drawer (except Sprint Connection Manager with disabling doesn't completely disable.....), and it won't cause you any problems.

Personally I like further UI customization (customize color/opacity of shade, battery icon, boot animation, etc), forcing multiview on other apps (although I don't often use it), titanium backup (requires root) and other apps that require root, and wifi tether (but I havent actually been able to get wifi tether to work on the note 2, but USB does). Now, you can do most of those on stock-but-rooted ROMs.

Maybe most of all I just like tinkering with small things. (test out photosphere before the nexus 4 came out? etc)

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

Other than occupying some of the 16 GB of internal memory, is there a problem with the stock software, even if it is bloat?

Have you ever used a stock Android device like a Nexus 4, 7, or 10? To me, the interface is just smoother, simpler, easier to use. Sometimes bling can be good, but other times you don't want the bling and just want something that works well. With Eclaire, Froyo, Gingerbread, some parts of Sense on my HTC phones was nice because Android still wasn't quite there yet. But with ICS and JB, Sense (and what I've seen with TouchWiz) isn't necessary.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kram1984j

said by kram1984j:

I didn't order those things from most to least important. stock is ok and yes the bloatware you can just hide from the app drawer (except Sprint Connection Manager with disabling doesn't completely disable.....), and it won't cause you any problems.

Personally I like further UI customization (customize color/opacity of shade, battery icon, boot animation, etc), forcing multiview on other apps (although I don't often use it), titanium backup (requires root) and other apps that require root, and wifi tether (but I havent actually been able to get wifi tether to work on the note 2, but USB does). Now, you can do most of those on stock-but-rooted ROMs.

Maybe most of all I just like tinkering with small things. (test out photosphere before the nexus 4 came out? etc)

msg me ill send you the settings for the note2 tether via wifi.

I use it daily. 40 gigs and counting
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

aztr0

join:2007-10-28
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Thaler

With the stock, you get to use all the S- stuff. With a custom ROM, you will not get them. So it comes down to, if you like to use the Samsung apps or if you want more customization through a custom ROM, but not have the S- stuff.

kram1984j

Incorrect. You can use a custom ROM that is TouchWiz based (Assorted parts of the samsung stuff), or a custom ROM that is AOSP ("pure" Android / Google-released code). You can use custom roms With the S-stuff if that's what you want.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to aztr0

said by aztr0:

With the stock, you get to use all the S- stuff.

Not really. All the S-apps I leave alone and install my own.