Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I'm far more impressed with the HTC One...

...but phablets overall are dumb. They're too big for a phone and too small to be a good media player. I use my phone one handed and don't want to be juggling it or need two hands to type quickly. I use a phone as a phone and would rather see that hardware crammed into a 3.5-4" phone like an S4 "mini", sleek, thin, easy to handle, comfortable in a pocket... I'm also not a fan of the hideous build quality; it is sad to see Samsung stick with the polycarb. If I were going to buy an Android phablet, it would be the HTC.
kerya666

join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

Re: I'm far more impressed with the HTC One...

said by skeechan:

...but phablets overall are dumb. They're too big for a phone and too small to be a good media player. I use my phone one handed and don't want to be juggling it or need two hands to type quickly. I use a phone as a phone and would rather see that hardware crammed into a 3.5-4" phone like an S4 "mini", sleek, thin, easy to handle, comfortable in a pocket... I'm also not a fan of the hideous build quality; it is sad to see Samsung stick with the polycarb. If I were going to buy an Android phablet, it would be the HTC.

And I rather them have multiple options for everyone... I for one do not like anything smaller than 4.5" ever since having bigger screened phones. I have no trouble using it one handed or carrying in my pocket while you might have, hence there should be a flavor for everyone. Same goes for build materials.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I "can" do it...I had a Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 with the 5" screen but nearly dropped it a dozen times. I'd be seriously bummed dropping a pricy handset. But oh yeah...bring on the S4 AND and an all aluminum/GG no TW Skeechan edition S4 mini.
kram1984j

join:2009-12-06

I use no case or screen protector and I've dropped my note 2 over a dozen times. It's never been dropped because it's too big for me to hold though.... a few times from about 6' (top of refrigerator onto hard floor)... there's only some small indentations/scuffs in the chrome on one corner from the time I dropped it from under 6 inches onto a gravel roof. I really thought the screen would break that first day when I dropped it from 6' and was amazed... It's not worth worrying about possibly dropping/breaking as long as you can afford to replace it. If you can't afford to replace it, probably shouldn't be paying the $1000s over 24 months that most people pay for a smartphone.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

It isn't a matter of not being able to replace it...it is not wanting to replace it.
kram1984j

Well, I've never had to replace it... so I don't want to either?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

That's not my luck...my luck would have it break on impact and then get run over my a line of baby ducks followed by a meteorite and a UPS truck.
kram1984j

I did break the screen on my first smartphone even though it was a tiny screen that only took up about 1/2 of the device size. It was a Windows Mobile Touch Pro (only 1/2 size screen of original iphone screen, but twice the resolution of the low-res iphone -- would have probably started with an iphone at the time if the screen wasn't such low resolution)
ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
I'd be interested in the HTC. Except my Thunderbolt /SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED/.

After VZW sent me the 10th phone in 18 months, I told them I'd had enough. Enough of the phone being generally unstable. Enough of losing data all the time and having the extra big battery (which I did like) draining in 45 minutes instead of two days.

Should have been careful what I asked for. They sent me a Moto Razr. And, while that phone is generally stable and I have very few issues with it, I'm lucky to get 7 hours of idle time out of the battery.

I really do like the specs on the S4, though. I'd be curious about its Bluetooth performance. I keep my personal and work phones on the dresser connected to the wall when I'm home. They BT into the cordless phone base station which is across the house. The Moto phones seem to work pretty well. The HTC? Pffbt, a lot of noise.
kram1984j

said by skeechan:

...but phablets overall are dumb. They're too big for a phone and too small to be a good media player. I use my phone one handed and don't want to be juggling it or need two hands to type quickly. I use a phone as a phone and would rather see that hardware crammed into a 3.5-4" phone like an S4 "mini"

The problem with tablets is that they aren't really that portable. You can't put a 7" tablet or a 10" tablet into your pocket and take it with you. Who wants to carry a tablet with their hands everywhere with them?

The nice thing about the Note II -ish size is that I can take it with me everywhere, and it's still a usable size for most things a tablet would be, and the S-Pen is useful. And thus there's no need (more accurately, no "want", as I wouldn't "need" either) to carry around a tablet with me as well. That said, it is a larger phone, and I can see how many people would have a problem holding it. Luckily, I don't have tiny elf-hands like the people in the photos in the articles that bash the size as crazy and unusable for anyone often show, where their fingers barely can grip the phone. And... most (over half) the people I see with the tiny iphones have incredibly large cases on them, making the tiny-screened iphone much more comparatively bulky (Otterbox defender? I can't easily hold some of them with the really thick cases) and nearly as wide.
puck0114

join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR
I really hate that HTC is creating the superior products, but they simply can't match Samsung's marketing budget. *sigh*

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

In my very limited experience, HTC does not make the superior product.

Last year, I went from an Sprint HTC EVO Shift (which was constantly doing mini-reboots whenever I'd back out of an app and no update ever came to fix the issue) to an AT&T HTC One X. The One X was unable to reacquire a network signal after losing it (at my metal framed workplace.) The only way I could make the phone usable again was to reboot. I swapped it for another brand new One X (and a new SIM) that had the same issue. Going into or exiting LTE service areas froze the phone. I finally swapped the 2nd One X for the Galaxy S 3 and to date, have not had any serious issues at all.

I'm not saying that the new HTCs are bad (haven't seen or used any of them) but I doubt I'll ever own another...
puck0114

join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Stephouse Wireless

I guess we all have our experiences. I never had a problem with an HTC phone on Sprint or TMobile. My Verizon GNex has absolutely horrible radios. They drop frequently and for no apparent reason.

If Google does something interesting with Motorola, I'll probably give them a try. Motorola does excel at radios (and batteries, apparently).
tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
S4 = 5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 inches

HTC One = 5.4 x 2.7 x 0.36 inches

I certainly understand that larger phones are not for everyone. This is why their are choices. But there is a _huge_ market for them. I've had the S4 for awhile now and would never go back to a smaller screen. It took me about a day to become used to the size and now I don't notice it at all. I leave my tablet at home and find it very easy to do a lot of work with the bigger screen.

said by skeechan:

I'm also not a fan of the hideous build quality; it is sad to see Samsung stick with the polycarb. If I were going to buy an Android phablet, it would be the HTC.

You mean the plastic backing (only part that is plastic)? It's this way as NFC does not work so well through metal. Honestly, I get tired of this complaint. The back is light, easy to remove and cheap to replace. Metal backing would not make the phone any different.