spc
Search similar:

uniqs
condor11
join:2007-10-12

condor11

Wholesaler (from Rogers) cable internet install question

Guys,
I've never had Rogers (or wholesale) cable internet installed before, so I'd appreciate if someone could clarify for me based on their experience.

My house is wired for cable by Rogers and I have cable outlets around the house (bedrooms, living room).

1) Could those outlets be reused to connect the cable modem to or would technician need to run a new special line from my basement where cable comes into the house?

2) When Tech comes does he need to know which particular room I will need the cable modem installed? Would he need to do anything special to the cable line (like filters) to that particular room? Would I be able to move the modem to another room?

3) What else would technician do as part of the installation and what should I watch/ask them for?

Thanks!
rainor94
join:2009-03-05

rainor94

Rogers used my existing in home wires. I have individual cable runs from each room in the house to the basement. He really didn't have to do much. The Modem was already hooked up to both the router and in home cables. I told him to leave me a longer piece of cable because I wanted to rerun the modem cable in the basement at a later date but didn't want to deal with it now.

I also remember they called right before they came so make sure you're around your phone in case they call.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to condor11

to condor11
First off, the tech will connect any outside lines necessary (and do a signal test) and then go down in your basement to check the splitter connection there.

Yes the outlets can be reused. Yes you can put the modem in any room (with a cable outlet) you want. No filters are required for cable internet. All the tech will do is connect one end of the coax cable to the wall outlet and the other end to the back of the modem, connect the ethernet cable to the modem and PC (or router if you so choose) and then plug the modem in. He'll then call Rogers to activate the modem and probably do a speedtest to verify you're getting the proper speeds.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to condor11

to condor11
1) Yes, any of the existing ports can be used. When the line comes into the house, the line is just split off to go wherever. So there's no difference at all in those lines (unless some are disconnected, or connected using a bad splitter).

2) No filter - not inside the house anyway. Any filter would be at the pole or in a box on your house. It would be best to know where you're going to keep it since the tech will hook it up and run some basic tests to make sure everything works. While there should be no issue with moving it to another room, it would suck to find out later that the jack in the room you want it in is dead, has some bad wiring or comes off a bad splitter, which the installer could have caught.

3) He might do a line signal test to make sure there's a good signal, or might just hook the modem and see if everything works right. You could ask him to do the signal test just to make sure there are no bad splitters somewhere in your house. But if there is a bad splitter in the house, you'd have to fix that yourself, or pay them to do it.

If the lines are already run it's a pretty quick visit.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to condor11

Premium Member

to condor11
Hello,

I can answer these from a TekSavvy perspective (Rogers Wholesaler - AKA... Champions)

1) Absolutely. The techs would prefer to use existing jacks than create new ones

2) The tech will normally install the service at the room of choice, but it never hurts to tell him which outlet you want it live on.

3) The tech will make sure that the connection is available and signals are with spec.

I suggest you make sure you perform a couple of speed tests before he leaves and ensure you have functioning internet before he leaves.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andre

random
@teksavvy.com

random

Anon

>I suggest you make sure you perform a couple of speed tests before he leaves and ensure you have functioning internet before he leaves.

That might not be possible until the tech(s) have updated their database and propagate that which could take tens of minutes to couple of hours and contractors are not paid to wait for that.

You can't exactly do a speed test inside their default walled garden, but at least that would tell you that the basic installation is working.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

I suggest you make sure you perform a couple of speed tests before he leaves and ensure you have functioning internet before he leaves.

Yep, generally not possible in Rogers areas. If you are lucky and get a Rogers employee doing the install, that person can turn up your modem right away for testing. Otherwise, when the technician leaves he closes the ticket in Rogers system, and that puts the modem in queue to be provisioned within the next little while.

Believe it or not, the independent contractors often tell customers "you have to call your provider to get the modem turned on." That is completely wrong, of course

When I sell a modem, I tell my customers to watch the lights to know they have sync, and then unplug the modem and walk away for at least 1 hour. I really don't like those "the technician just left but the internet doesn't work" phone calls!
(I'm sure you can find thousands of those calls if you check the system Andre, although I guess they might not be logged)

I wouldn't even recommend checking the walled garden. It messes with the DNS cache of the machine you are testing with. I understand what's happening, and I sometimes have trouble getting that redirection cleared out of a computer. Regular customers could get really turned around from it.
condor11

condor11

Thanks very much folks!

Since I don't have cable TV is there a way for me to test if the cable outlet is not dead, let's say if I buy the modem before the tech comes in?

If I plug in the modem, but still don't have Rogers (or Wholesaler) internet turned on, would there be an indication for me, maybe that "walled garden"?

Teddy, so you are saying basically that I can plug the modem in even if it's not provisioned yet and see that there is a signal by looking at the lights?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by condor11:

Teddy, so you are saying basically that I can plug the modem in even if it's not provisioned yet and see that there is a signal by looking at the lights?

Yes, absolutely. If the coaxial is connected to Rogers network, your modem will show synchronization. The thing is, if you don't have cable TV, and nobody has had cable TV at that address for a few months, it probably won't be connected to Rogers network.

Anyway.. If you connect a computer or router to the unprovisioned (aka not yet subscribed) modem, that device will pull a 10.x.x.x IP address, and this is the "walled garden". If you try to load a web page, it will be redirected to a Rogers marketing page saying "something is wrong, you should call us at xxx-xxxx."

This was a huge concern for me when I first stated selling cable modems--of course I have to be able to test them--you'll see me asking the same questions 2-3 years ago

Light patterns vary by modem make/model, but for the vast majority of cable modems you should be looking for a solid Online light. If the Online light is solid, things are probably fine.
(probably, because your signal levels may only be marginal, but you can check those too of course: 192.168.100.1)
condor11

condor11

Awesome, thanks so much Teddy!

BTW, what's the situation these days with rogers unplugging TPIA customers with no TV? Have they stopped or does it still happen?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by condor11:

Awesome, thanks so much Teddy!

BTW, what's the situation these days with rogers unplugging TPIA customers with no TV? Have they stopped or does it still happen?

So...
If you have TV and keep it, there is of course no risk at all.

It definitely does still happen to people who don't have TV, but my feeling is it is very rare nowadays. When I had fewer than 50 cable customers I was seeing this happening to a customer every week. Now I have hundreds, and only hear about it happening once in a while (once in 3 months, once in 6 months? I don't write it down, so I can't say exactly).

I'm most concerned when a customer has cable TV, but decides to cancel it sometime later. Not that I have proof of issues in this circumstance, but it wouldn't surprise me if this caused disconnections