elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

30 Terabytes?

Really?

With a username of "datanabber", I wonder if this is just another one of those folks who download for the purposes of maxing out their use, 24x7, and then act surprised and outraged when their ISP takes notice.

While I wouldn't claim that 250GB caps are absolutely necessary on wired service, they certainly can be a legitimate, means to thwart abuse and allow for lower price offerings.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
30TB in one month would require a 100mbit/s connection. Well 97mbit/s and change to be precise. He says he has a 40/5 connection, so this amount of data usage is impossible even if he had the connection pegged in both directions 24/7.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 recommendation

Clearly the number is inaccurate, as one should come to expect, both from some forum contributions, and software-based meters that trace their days to the butcher's-thumb-on-the-scale.

But we've seen here that there *are* members who intentionally "peg" their connections, which is not without consequence for all of us.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
Oh, for sure. I know people who do it just to be spiteful. It's actually quite a shitty thing to do to BOTH ends of the connection, IMHO. I'm the guy who pauses Pandora if I step outside for five minutes, and I have an unlimited connection. No reason to waste a shared resource.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
I don't bother pausing Pandora, but I do try to do my heavy downloads after midnight even though my ISP does not slow down during prime time.