All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
isaacl
join:2009-07-26

isaacl

Re: How to port to Google Voice from Future-Nine

Nitzan told me that Sprint MVNO's had had trouble porting in with landline numbers in the past, and warned me that this might happen, but I had wanted to try anyway.
They kept getting errors though, even though they seemed to have all the info.
I had thought that it would be a lot more complicated with T-Mobile, and I already had an extra Sprint phone anyway, so I had wanted to try with Ting first.
So far though, the T-Mobile process seems pretty straight forward, and I was able to borrow a T-Mobile phone from a friend, though I don't think I'll need it until the GV porting part of the process.
We'll see what happens though.
isaacl

isaacl

For anyone still following:
The T-Mobile port was pretty straightforward.
The number was activated on their end a few days ago, but the losing carrier only released the number today (the 26th).
I'm starting the Google Voice porting process now, hope it doesn't take too long...
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

Thanks for the update, and good to know it really is Sprint MVNOs that are at fault here.
isaacl

isaacl

It is possible that Ting kept giving them the billing address instead of the service address, and that was the issue, because T-Mobile initially didn't put any address on there, and they came back that they got the same error (invalid zip code).
Doesn't matter much to me at this point, as long as it's moving over...

Blandings
@ajkservers.com

Blandings to isaacl

Anon

to isaacl
I would not do anything with a free service like Google Voice that I could not undo in five minutes.

Larry and Sergey may decide tomorrow that GV is not fun any more and can the thing.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Google has historically always given their customers notice with ample time to migrate away from any services they discontinue. To do otherwise would be suicidal for them.
josephf

josephf to isaacl

to isaacl
Did Ting tell you the hangup on the port request was with an invalid zip code on the service address?

Don't forget to cancel your Ting account. You may also wish to ask them to credit you for the time you waited for the unsuccessful port. They are good about credits. (Though they only charge $6 per month, so their isn't any big money involved here.)
isaacl

isaacl

There were different errors, but I know that they got an invalid zip code error a few times.
They were actually giving in the billing address - I think they were supposed to be giving the service address.
I cancelled the line with Ting - will ask about the credits, though I'm not sure if I was billed for anything...
isaacl

isaacl

Just checked with Ting - I was never charged anything.