how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rickardsred

join:2004-08-20
St Catharines, ON

[INTERNET] Cogeco hosted akamai servers - sucky download speeds

Last night I was rebuilding a couple PC's at home and was in midst of downloading drivers from both the Intel and Dell web sites and noticed that the download speeds were anything but stellar. Probably averaging around 150K/sec tops.

Today at work (also on Cogeco) I am noticing the same thing.

Both downloadmirror.intel.com and downloads.dell.com both seem to resolve to a Cogeco hosted akamai server 24.226.16.114, and both seem to still be sucky.

Not sure whether Cogeco has anything to do with these boxes at all, but perhaps they can poke someone at akamai to take a look and see if anything weird is going on with their CDN network?

Downloading drivers and updates for windows machines is boring enough without waiting for 100K downloads all day!

nononofx

@bell.ca

Re: [INTERNET] Cogeco hosted akamai servers - sucky download spe

It's not a Cogeco issue, it's an Akamai issue - I get the same speeds on Bell right now. Best I can get is 170 Kbps on the current downloadmirror.intel.com which is a997.d.akamai.net. Some days you get a good akamai experience, most days you don't.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by nononofx :

It's not a Cogeco issue, it's an Akamai issue - I get the same speeds on Bell right now. Best I can get is 170 Kbps on the current downloadmirror.intel.com which is a997.d.akamai.net. Some days you get a good akamai experience, most days you don't.

I think you meant KBps and I'm getting 320 KBps with Cogeco right now.

As you say, it's Akamai and not something Cogeco can resolve, it's the nature of the beast. Whenever possible I try to choose a direct download as Akamai fouls up my life.