how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

karsan2007

join:2007-01-28
Glendale, CA

[HSI] Will charter upgrade 30 meg service

I have relized my speed in the moring at 50 megs sometimes and it maintatins the same speed during the night is charter planning to update the 30 meg service I have no idea what they are doing

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

How are you determining that you are getting 50mbps? A speedtest?

said by karsan2007:

I have relized my speed in the moring at 50 megs sometimes and it maintatins the same speed during the night is charter planning to update the 30 meg service I have no idea what they are doing

horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11

This is very odd, it seems like a number of subscribers are indicating that they are getting 50mb down all of a sudden for no apparent reason.

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL
reply to karsan2007

I just checked mine several times, using both Charter's speed test and the more reliable Speedtest.net for comparison.

Charter's never gave me less than 60Mps, usually in the 70s, once pushing 90Mbps.

Speedtest.net gave me consistently in the mid-40s.

I'm on the 30Mbps plan.

However, the speed indicator on Newsbin shows ~33Mbps, which is pretty much what it always has been.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to karsan2007

these speed tests take less than 10 seconds, which isn't long enough to give a "true" reading. Some people say "speedboost" doesn't exist any more, but the longer the download, the actual true sustained download speed is displayed.

Speedtest.net took 7 seconds. Too short to truly test.

Charter took about 10 seconds to complete.

So, you can see tests that take longer actual have a more true and accurate depection of your actual speed.

Also, FLASH BASED speed tests are notorious inaccurate (but people LOVE to see those outlandish speeds---which are not true).

THEN, I went to digitalriver and download a ISO of windows 7......Averaged about 23mbps......My plan is 30mbps, so pretty close!!!!

TESTMY.NET was close, downloading a 40MB file

DaSneaky1D
one wall to block them all
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter

To go along with your testing suggestions, if one has a Linux box (or similar) box available, you can run this:

wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/200mb.test -O /dev/null

Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 209715200 (200M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[======================================>] 209,715,200 10.5M/s   in 20s

2013-03-15 19:10:08 (10.2 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [209715200/209715200]

compuguybna1

@charter.com
reply to Tanker

What do you get on

www.testmy.net ?

skarsan

@charter.com
reply to compuguybna

I just did another speed test using speedtest.net and the forth sever speed is 55.35 and for upload 4.25

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL
reply to compuguybna1

said by compuguybna1 :

What do you get on

www.testmy.net ?

32 down, 3.2 up.

I didn't hardly think the speeds I was getting from the other services were correct.

rpht

join:2000-12-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to karsan2007

Good speed in St. Louis

Razoul

join:2012-10-09
Crestline, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to karsan2007

As much as I'm hopeful Charter will try and play catchup with Comcast, TWC and others rolling out better speed plans, it's just that. Hope. Charter has shown lately they don't really care much for anything other than their bottom line at all. Thankfully I'm moving to a FiOS area soon and I can drop this poor excuse for an ISP.

ryu4000

join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS
reply to karsan2007

Click for full size
There prolly not going rasie the 30 meg anytime soon but you can always come to charter business there 3 tiers 30 50 and 100.I'm on the 50 plan myself.

markopoleo

join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

Charter business is a waste of money no matter how you look at it.

ryu4000

join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS

said by markopoleo:

Why is it a waste unlimited bandwidth i use 1tb or more a month running servers etc... and downloading from steam and no need to worry about charter complaining did it on res and they told me i went over the cap that why i switch cant stand to be limited.

mtn_area

@charter.com

It depends where you live. I regularly push 1tb a month also and have a few Raspberry Pi running servers on residential and don't hear anything from Charter. However I'm still going to drop them as soon as I move to an area serviced by them and FiOS down in Apple Valley, CA. The value of the service, including their HD quality, isn't worth the $100/mo+ I pay right now.

checkit

join:2001-05-22
Godfrey, IL
reply to karsan2007

Where those faster speeds located at?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit
reply to Tanker

said by Tanker:

I just checked mine several times, using both Charter's speed test and the more reliable Speedtest.net for comparison.

Charter's never gave me less than 60Mps, usually in the 70s, once pushing 90Mbps.

Speedtest.net gave me consistently in the mid-40s.

I'm on the 30Mbps plan.

However, the speed indicator on Newsbin shows ~33Mbps, which is pretty much what it always has been.

The day that speedtest.net is regarded as more reliable is the day that ALL speed test sites become known as fantastically accurate! That is one of the crappiest and least accurate sites of them all!!

The most accurate plane speed test site is »www.testmy.net and that one also totally depends on time of day, congestion, and DEFINITELY what browser you are using, etc.

Any and all flash test sites suck the big green one. Only truly accurate way to measure speed is download a huge file as already shown above by compuguybna, and even that TOTALLY depends on that sites server capabilities and congestion, among a few other things.

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 54585 Kbps or 54.6 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 32.1 MB or 32896 kB or 33685504 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 6823 kB/s or 6.8 MB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 3108 Kbps or 3.1 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 1.3 MB or 1376 kB or 1409024 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 388 kB/s
Tested At:: »TestMy.net Version 13
Test Time:: 2013-03-18 05:21:25 Local Time
Location:: Grand Haven, MI US >> Destination:: Dallas, TX US
Validation:: »testmy.net/db/k72eisJ.Zuw1XEB

said by markopoleo:

How can Charter business be anymore of a waste of money than their residential plan, especially of the same speed?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/