how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fruitkiller

join:2013-03-15
Jonquiere, QC

Formerly happy Distributel user quits that has been isp

My first experience with Distributel dates to 2007 and had been great, I was still a rather poor student, and I hadn't gotten any service to the apartment I was sharing with a friend then, when I receive through the mail an alright deal from this new isp (it was back then). When i had to move later on, there was no problem, they sent me a box for me to send back the modem I was renting and that was it.

I got back with Distributel in august 2012 when I went to live on my own after finally finishing university. The sh*t storm begins. When I received the modem I received a sheet of paper that I had to sign to authorize them to take money from my account. They also asked for a cheque specimen, which I produced by email, I called them to verify if everything was okay and it was. We're now in middle of october, before I continue take into account I rarely ever look at my bank account's balance, I know i'm always in the green and Ii have enough to pay for my recurring paying services. But suddenly the internet goes off.

I call Distributel (from another house of course, the phone was out too) to get what's happening. Apparently they couldn't find my cheque specimen so, no wait, they said I never sent it and that I would have to re-pay connection fees. I went mad and asked to talk to a supervisor. A supervisor calls me back, and thankfully, no offense to my primarily english speaking quebecois brothers but I hate to be answered by somebody who barely speaks french who shouldn't be taking french phone calls. The guy named Christian helps me out, he starts an inquiry inside the company to find my cheque speciment I send to them already in the past. With no surprise, they suddenly find it. So they re-connect me without fee. I thought my problems were over here, but hell no.

To pay for the months I owed them,which I shouldn't have because it was their fault, by losing the docs they asked me for. I tell him, i'd rather not pay that all at once, because thats your error, my monies were well calculated for all my payments monthly but like most people, i dont have much of a safety net in case of major surprises like this, they wanted me to pay for 2 months of their 20/3 service, cable service, really fucking expensive too, o 2x74 dollars for august and september. I had the money for this, but then he says you will not be able not to pay for your current month during nex payment so you will have to pay 3 months at one, i cannot help out more than this....so I grudgingly pay 3 months during november, which really gave me a lot of problems. I call back trying to ask for mercy and how I was a good customer for staying nevermind that blunder on their part. But no, nothing good could be achived, I had to pay 3 more months in the same month to get rid of them, I paid all 3 of them and then got rid of their service.

I ask for a pre-paid for box for me to send them back the modem. She tells me it doesn't work like this anymore and that i'll have to pay myself to send them back the modem like if it was normal. The attitude of almost all customer services bit**es on there was condescending while she is the alien in this province! jk, then I say well for this month I still owe you, send me a bill so I can have the address for me to send back that modem. She says alright. It seemed all easy. Oh yeah, they were charging 15 dollars more because...i don't know what, i was never charged anything by a company that supposedly doesn't work by contracts.

The next Saturday MORNING at about 9:10 am they call me, another of them hardly french speaking women with a snide voice tells me that "my demand for a bill to be sent to me was refused", when I heard this the rage inside of me started to BOIL madly. Then she says, we'll send you an "état de compte" i dont know what that really translates too in english but its a state of account, theres no difference to me between that and a bill and she goes we will remove the 15 dollars but charge you 5 dollars for us to mail that to you. I completely lost it and I told her I would be paying by myself at the bank and hung up.

This company has become total crap, their internet service is very good still, but pricey ( I just realized there were a couple of isp's out there other than them, but unfortunately i'd have to use cable,I think, because in the case of tekksavvy's 25/10 DSL, they sent signals to my apartment and they said that our wired sucked here and the best I could get through dsl was 6mbps, and their cable service is the same. I'm moving soon though and i'll make sure wherever I move I will be getting velcom's 50/10 dsl or tekksavvy's. Distributel was a great small isp back in 2007 when i was with them and it really showed they cared for their customers, and they were hiring french canadians in Quebec for the french help (minor, but still adds to the fact they became shitty). All that mismanagement of my account, which turned out to be their fault all along, like I knew it was, made it so I was getting unreasonable bills and fees here and there hidden when one gets off th eir service. At first I had asked to be reduced in speed cos I didn't a 20/3 connection still...well I did, but not so much and certainly not for 74 dollars a month. Screw distributel, I will stop recommending them to friends from now on.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
You signed up for internet.

You weren't charged for three months.

They shut off your internet for non-payment. They tell you to get reconnected they would charge a fee.

You escalate and it's discovered it was their error for not collecting the fees, they ask to collect the past monthly fees but will not charge a reconnect fee.

You don't like having to pay for a service you used because it was expensive so you cancel after paying past due fees.

You are completely wrong to think you should not have to pay for a service you used.

fruitkiller

Jonquiere, QC
No, I was alright with paying the months I had been using, I thought they were being paid until I realized my modem was telling me about not having internet!

My problem is that they wouldn't settle for a realistic way of paying for these months while I continue paying for the current service. Not only did they not seem to understand after playing explaining to them many times that I couldn't pay for 3 months at once per month and it would have to be 2 months max at once for my payments, they argued about that not being possible after letting me do it once" after this 2 month bill you will have to pay by 3 month increments". Sorry I'm just of college, I don't have the money to pay 200 dollars of internet a month. Why act like they understand this by allowing me to do this for my first payment, when they dared to take 3 months at once twice in a row when I hadn't finished discussing about that with the dingbat at the other end of the line. They caused me many problems by insisting to receive 3 payments a month when I told em I couldn't be comfortable with that and i'd have to go with 2 months at once until the extra bills were over. They weren't reasonable, telling me crap like this after it was their own fault they didn't charge me for august, september, october and november, money I had at the time, and since I wasn't being told by my bank or by them themselves that something wrong was going on, I was never aware of it, until the flashing light on the modem.

You just jumped on their side by distorting info I had already given. Hope this post clarifies things for you.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Samgee
said by Samgee:

You signed up for internet.

You weren't charged for three months.

They shut off your internet for non-payment. They tell you to get reconnected they would charge a fee.

You escalate and it's discovered it was their error for not collecting the fees, they ask to collect the past monthly fees but will not charge a reconnect fee.

You don't like having to pay for a service you used because it was expensive so you cancel after paying past due fees.

You are completely wrong to think you should not have to pay for a service you used.

I think his issue was being asked to pay for it all in one big lump sum, rather than being able to spread it out a little. I'd be pissed over that too.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
reply to fruitkiller
It was reasonable for him to ask. Perhaps they could have done something.

My disagreement was over this statement,

"To pay for the months I owed them,which I shouldn't have because it was their fault, by losing the docs they asked me for."

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
I look at the perspective that if i sign up for a service, and a company fails to bill/collect from me, too bad.

I had over a 2yrs of free Rogers cable, because they didn't disconnect when I called them. By your logic I should pay them for that service.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
said by elwoodblues:

I look at the perspective that if i sign up for a service, and a company fails to bill/collect from me, too bad.

I had over a 2yrs of free Rogers cable, because they didn't disconnect when I called them. By your logic I should pay them for that service.

At least try to give an example that is of the same nature the OP posted... Right now it's not so i do not know if you are trying to be a funny man or a @#$%?#$...

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

1 edit
reply to fruitkiller
So you asked for a service, they had some trouble when it came time to bill you and because of that they never took the money you put aside for them...

What happened to that money? If that money was supposed to be put aside to cover your internet/phone bills why do you use it for something else?

fruitkiller

Jonquiere, QC
Here the incompetence of the billing dept should shine and how my money is spent shouldn't matter. If they had been taking the money when they should have they wouldn't have lost this customer, by taking revenge on me because they are a disorganized mess.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

If your employer forgot to pay you, you'd want to get paid

Though one thing I have to ask, the 3 months you were not charged and you say you had the money for sure in your account, where did it go?

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to fruitkiller
I say check your bank account balance more often... you seem to not care what happens with your money.

somrandomguy

@distributel.net
reply to fruitkiller
said by fruitkiller:

If they had been taking the money when they should have they wouldn't have lost this customer, by taking revenge on me because they are a disorganized mess.

1.) You're not a customer if you're not paying for the service. They lost money on you since they still had to pay for line and bandwidth.

2.) Did you not notice you had extra money 3 months in a row?

They could have handled it better, but they're not suppose to babysit you spending money you shouldnt have and then you demanding another month of internet.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reading this, I'm wondering if I'm the only person who contacts a company as soon as I notice that a payment didn't go through as expected...
--
Start Communications Forum

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by MichelR:

Reading this, I'm wondering if I'm the only person who contacts a company as soon as I notice that a payment didn't go through as expected...

I do the same thing. Drives me nuts when a company is supposed to take money out and it just sits there.....

To the OP, I'm sorry to say, but you sir are a moron. You had a service, you knew they weren't taking the money and figured you had scored a winfall and spent the money. It's not up to Distributel to manage your money. You had to know that eventually they were going to want to get paid so why did you spend that money?

They reconnected you at no cost to you because it was their mistake, however because they made a mistake does not mean you should get 3 months of free internet nor does it mean that they should take $5/month for the next 12 years while you pay it off. You signed an agreement stating that you would have money in your bank account and it is your responsibility to leave it there until they take it out. Doesn't matter if it takes them 6 months to retrieve it.

This is your own fault and to come on here bashing a company that has clearly tried to work with you to resolve an issue just shows what a child you truly are.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MichelR
said by MichelR:

I once went to go deposit my bi-weekly pay from a job I had while in school, owner didn't want to do direct deposit. When I got back home, I noticed an extra $400 on the receipt had bee deposited into my account. I called the bank right away to tell them they deposited extra into my account.

I too believe using ignorance as an excuse is just in poor taste. If the OP is as poor as he claims, he would be watching the dollar amount in his account more than he claims not to.

MrBEAN

@distributel.net
reply to fruitkiller
said by fruitkiller:

Here the incompetence of the billing dept should shine and how my money is spent shouldn't matter. If they had been taking the money when they should have they wouldn't have lost this customer, by taking revenge on me because they are a disorganized mess.

They ate the reconnect fee they were probably charged because they goofed up.

Doesn't matter how you spend your money but why did you spend the money if you knew they had goofed? You knew you would be charged eventually right?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Sorry that analogy doesn't work. In the case of being paid, I'm covered by the law.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

That's not all that uncommon. They told me this could happen when I canceled my cable service, and when they finally came to physically do it, they came to knock at my door to inform me. In both cases they said "don't worry, you won't get charged if the service remains active, no matter how long". They get to it when they get to it, and they live with that if some subscribers end up getting free cable for as long as it takes them to get someone to go take care of it. Completely different situation from what the OP posted.
--
Start Communications Forum

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by TypeS:

Sorry that analogy doesn't work. In the case of being paid, I'm covered by the law.

No it applies, regardless of the law, its the principle. You expect to be paid by your employer because you delivered on your required tasks.

Your ISP expects you pay for a service they delivered.

Its plain and simple.

And FYI it may be the the law but good luck if an employer actually skips on your pay and getting it enforce. It's months long or more process. I've seen it happen. I think my friend gave up fighting for $900 after a year of Ministry of Labor getting nothing done.

So it's pretty simple, everyone deserves to get paid when they delivered on what was promised.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by TypeS:

Not always.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

So in the end... they didn't fail to bill you... they just never disconnected you and you took the advantage of it...

They "weren't aware of it"... it's not the same thing at all.