uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

[General] Telemarketers qustion

I have blocked the calls that are coming from the unknown number and name, but yet somehow they have manged to by pass call blocking. Can someone tell me how they have manged to do it?

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
They're evil and have devil powers!

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
said by craig70130:

They're evil and have devil powers!

I agree %100 on this, and FTC or FCC do not care.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Oleg
Depends how you block them. If using your phone/landline and call block, apparently some allow them through to the answering machine whether you want it or not i.e. AT&T. Therefore I just dropped call block from these silly people and screen all calls for now until I can be offered another alternative.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
I have placed a called block using *77. I have tested it out to make sure it works by calling form another landline, and i thought to my self. Great it works!, but it has not stopped the telemarketers calling from the unknown name and number.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
I don't know if you are looking closely at the exact phone number, but you do realize the telemarketers could have as example 300 numbers.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
said by Johkal:

I don't know if you are looking closely at the exact phone number, but you do realize the telemarketers could have as example 300 numbers.

All it say's is "UNKNOWN NAME" "UNKOWN NUMBER" on the called ID.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
So, if *77 blocks the particular number without you actually kowing what it is, I'll guarantee that they have many numbers available to use to call you with. Every time they call & you *77, it's a different phone number.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

All it say's is "UNKNOWN NAME" "UNKOWN NUMBER" on the called ID.

Telco actually receives the calling number of every incoming call; however, if the call has the "privacy" flag set, DID residential and business service must respect it and displays whatever your provider or device uses to indicate that the number is not available to you. Note that *ALL* calls placed *to* toll-free numbers (800, 855, 866, 877, 888) provide the originating caller's number regardless of any Caller ID blocking setting the caller may have.

As to your question, some telcos (for a fee) will let you block *all* calls to you that do not provide end-point CID. Blocking individually only blocks *that* particular number, not all "Unknown" ones. Many newer phones have a feature that lets you do this (phone usually rings once, caller gets pickup followed immediately by hangup). My phone does this and also lets you use wildcards for blocking (but it only is moderately useful since the worst offenders use numbers from random NPA/NXX).
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
So as i understand not all incoming UNKNOWN NAME and UNKNOWN NUMBER calls could be blocked. I know if it is 800 number or 888 area code numbers they are hard to block.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
The number is available to the telco but not to the customer endpoint. You need either the service that lets you block all such calls so your phone doesn't even ring if they call, or a phone (or device connected to the line between the phone and the jack) that will filter anything that does not look like a phone number in the presentation. As for callers from toll-free numbers, there is little you can do to block those, and you shouldn't block them outright. Any legit business that you do business with may be calling you (such as a bank) and if they cannot get through for something important/time-sensitive you might find your account suspended until you call them. (They do it for security purposes so there is no reason to complain about that.)

Program numbers into your phone that you know are legit with some indication of who it is so you know to take that call.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Oleg
I have a foolproof plan for avoiding telemarketers. I don't pick up my phone unless the caller ID shows someone I feel like talking to. Everyone else goes to the answering machine. If I'm in the middle of something, everyone goes to the answering machine. Just because someone dialed my number doesn't mean I'm obligated to drop everything and rush to the phone.
--
“I had to adjust my halo as I was machine-gunning hogs.” - Ted Nugent

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
said by footballdude:

I have a foolproof plan for avoiding telemarketers. I don't pick up my phone unless the caller ID shows someone I feel like talking to.

This is my method also.

I don't answer the phone unless it's someone I know calling and everything else goes to the answering machine. If it is someone I need or want to talk to they can leave a message.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to footballdude
Better yet, ditch the land line/VoIP, go 100% cell and you'll see a 99% decrease in telemarketers.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

2 edits
reply to dandelion
I am suspecting so called "Do not call list" database was compromised or sold.

If you would ask me how? I would say someone who works for FTC has sold the database to the telemarketing companies. Just think about it, how many Federal agents got busted for an illegal activity in the past.

By the way FTC's site was hack into before »cylaw.info/ftc-gov-hacked-again-···-leaked/

theikmarket

join:2012-06-09
reply to Oleg
I've been into a similar situation before. Mine were prank calls by an anonymous caller who kept calling even at midnight. I had to leave the phone off the hook just so I don't get disturbed at night.

And I learned that nuisance callers just have a lot of ways to harass anybody with calls so it's a waste of time to try to find out how. I suggest you refer these calls to your telephone service provider and check how you can block their future calls.

theikmarket

join:2012-06-09
And I think it's important that your report these calls to »www.callercenter.com and your state attorney general so they are investigated for phone call harassment.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Better yet, ditch the land line/VoIP, go 100% cell and you'll see a 99% decrease in telemarketers.

Not so any longer. My cell number, which only 4 other people know the actual number, has been getting hit with telemarketing calls and spam texts since Christmastime. I don't answer the calls and they rarely leave messages. I do plug the numbers into Google to find out who it was. Robodialers do not respect cell exchanges, especially the ones the Rachael crews use. The spam texters specifically seek them out.
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
We're lucky if we get 1-2 ea. a month across 5 Cells in my plan.

Faster
Premium
join:2013-03-09
The rare telemarketing cellular calls I get are robo calls.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
said by Faster:

The rare telemarketing cellular calls I get are robo calls.

Yep, same here. I don't get any live calls.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

I am suspecting so called "Do not call list" database was compromised or sold.

If you would ask me how? I would say someone who works for FTC has sold the database to the telemarketing companies. Just think about it, how many Federal agents got busted for an illegal activity in the past.

By the way FTC's site was hack into before »cylaw.info/ftc-gov-hacked-again-···-leaked/

some bottomfeeders use DNC as their call list[fines are just a cost of doing bizzy]
--
Despises any post with strings.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
That seems to be a poor strategy: targetting people who've already said they don't want to talk to you, and hoping that they want to talk to you.

Statistically unlikely to do better than random dialling, I'd suppose.

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
said by dave:

That seems to be a poor strategy: targetting people who've already said they don't want to talk to you, and hoping that they want to talk to you.

Statistically unlikely to do better than random dialling, I'd suppose.

This is just a guess, but: I suspect that a fair number of people on the DNC registry are elderly folks who have had their numbers registered for them by relatives who understand just how susceptible the elderly can be to people with whom they talk (even over the telephone).

The sound of a human voice can count for a lot with some people, even if the voice in question is connected to a brain whose only intention is to sell you things you don't need and can't really afford.
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Oleg
*77 is Anonymous Call Rejection and it only blocks numbers that are "Private" or Blocked"--it will not block calls that are "Unknown" or "Out of Area".
quote:
Anonymous Call Rejection (ACR)

AT&T Anonymous Call Rejection automatically rejects calls from people who intentionally block delivery of their calling party name and/or number. When purchasing Caller ID service, this feature is automatically placed on your business line.

To activate Anonymous Call Rejection, press *77 (or dial 1177 for rotary phones)
To deactivate Anonymous Call Rejection, press *87 (or dial 1187 for rotary phones)

You need a feature such as Selective Call Screening to block specific numbers, but the lists are not large enough to accommodate the amount of different numbers telemarketers can use.
quote:
Selective Call Rejection

AT&T Selective Call Rejection allows you to selectively reject incoming calls from up to 12 different telephone numbers, which you identify.

To activate Selective Call Rejection:

Listen for a dial tone and press *60.
Listen for the announcement of current "on/off" status.
Listen for announcements outlining the available options.
Press 3 to activate your updates.

Follow instructions to add, remove, delete or review entries (step 3). This feature will not activate without at least one entry.

To deactivate Selective Call Rejection:

Listen for a dial tone and press *80.
Listen for instructions outlining available options.
Press 3 to deactivate the feature.
My understanding is that you are better off with some of the hardware available {ie Panasonic DECT 6.0 Plus Cordless Phone with Call Block Feature -- »www.officemax.com/technology/pho···3200004} if you want to block more numbers from calling.

The best advice is just not to answer if the number is one you do not know or comes across as unknown--if it is a truly important call they will leave a message.