uniqs
share rss forum feed

ROP

join:2009-05-10
Yonkers, NY

2 edits

Switching from DSL to FIOS

Westchester County, north of NYC

I use only phone and internet, TV is fine on an antenna. I've stuck to DSL because Vz offered only a 2-year price guarantee with FIOS. Now just the TV and phone cost me $97, more than the initial FIOS price. They're also calling me with an automated call about switching because of "problems with the copper wire." I've had no problems, in fact the DSL drops off far less than a few months ago. And the internet is not too swift, but good enough.

Here's the issue: I'm on a limited fixed income. They're offering FIOS internet and phone with a discount and taxes for about $63. Once I switch from DSL I can't go back. What's the chance they'll jack up the price sky high after the first 2 years? And am I better off with Optimum cable?
--
Self-built-- P4 3 GHZ/ 3 GB RAM /Win XP Pro SP3/Firefox and Thunderbird / VZ DSL w/Westell 6100F

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
kudos:1

They could raise your price after 2 years and you will not be able to go back to DSL with Verizon. As for quantum, it depends what you do. If you do a lot of streaming or gaming, it would probably be pretty nice. The nice thing with a two year contract is your price will stay the same for two years.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

Expand your moderator at work

ROP

Yonkers, NY
reply to antioch

Re: Switching from DSL to FIOS

I don't do gaming or streaming or downloading of films. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has made the switch.
--
[b]Self-built-- P4 3 GHZ/ 3 GB RAM /Win XP Pro SP3/Firefox and Thunderbird / VZ DSL w/Westell 6100F[/b]

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to ROP

What do u think cable will do to you after a year?
Go with it for $63 for 2 years.
If after 2 years they raise the price for any reason use it to your advantage.
Tell them you'll switch to cable and they'll work out a deal with you.
My 2 cents

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to ROP

I have a relative who had crappy 768/386 (or some such speed) DSL. After hurricane Sandy, his Copper phone service went to heck with noise and bad connections and his DSL speeds circled the drain. He was told that they probably could not repair the old Copper in his area as they had basically run out of good pairs in the cables (this from a tech he talked to who was working on the lines near his house).

He was offered FiOS Digital Voice and Internet at 3/1 Mb (no TV) w/ a 2 yr agreement for about what you quoted so he took it. He's very happy with the change.

His speeds test at ~5/2 Mb, consistently. He's paying less now than he was before and he has unlimited long distance which he did not with his old service.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

eival

join:2008-07-09

2 edits
reply to ROP

the taxes are crazy, plus the fios phone is crap, it requires power to run, no matter if the actual phoneline is down, so in an emergency its useless after 4-6hrs

but the TV picture quality and fios internet is flawless 24/7, i had optimum when i lived in the tristate area and only got my contract speeds when i purchased my own Motorola 6100 DOCSIS 3 modem which was $100 2yrs ago when it came out but fixed all the "peak time" issues the cheap DOC2 they hand out for free.

and i remember all the "we got the most HD" commercials optimum ran 24/7 in that area, but they leave out the part that Fios SD channels have zero compression artefacts so the 1-2 obscure channels they dont have in HD yet which you may watch periodically, still look just as good. which they rely on you thinking that all SD channels look just as compressed and horrible as theirs do

i wouldnt even doubt that they actually overcompress SD feeds just to make you watch the HD more and further buy into their "claims"

but watching a Knicks or Rangers game on MSG SD, zoom/cropped to fill your HD tv wont be the end of the world for you, or what ever other channel(s) Dolan has the Optimum guy still trying to market as an enticement for tri-state customers from switching

ROP

Yonkers, NY

The FIOS phone requires electricity, but Optonline doesn't?

I'm not interested in the TV. Would you recommend Optonline for the phone and internet?
--
[b]Self-built-- P4 3 GHZ/ 3 GB RAM /Win XP Pro SP3/Firefox and Thunderbird / VZ DSL w/Westell 6100F[/b]

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to ROP

Optonline requires power for their modem also.
In all honesty though, how many times does a person actually lose power in a year.
If you're so worried, purchase a simple power inverter you can hook up to your car battery.
You can run an extension cord into your house and power up your ONT,modem,TV etc...
Just have to start the car every 2 hours and let it run for a few minutes to charge the battery..
Problem solved

ROP

Yonkers, NY

The last time I lost power was the big Northeast blackout of about 10 years ago. No, it's not an issue. Thanks for your help
--

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

One thing about fios it's on a fiber line which is more reliable to weather conditions .

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

FiOS isn't more reliable if a tree falls on a pole and breaks the glass fiber line. If anything the copper line might bend under the weight vs break. Still would work though . Splicing fiber optics is a longer process as well. Surely if utilities are run underground then it wont matter during said tree falling storms for either.

So all in all, they both have their pluses and minus so just pick one and see. AFAIK they all have trial phases so try them out.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Actually anon your wrng on all points. Copper can get ripped down easier its way heavier to start with. Fiber is quicker to splice.a few fiber strands or a few hundred copper pairs?

pittpete1

1 recommendation

reply to SHoTTa35

I dont believe he was talking about trees falling on cables but more like troubles related to freezing & thawing, flooding, extreme heat and things of that nature

ROP

Yonkers, NY

Thanks to all of you. The FIOS techie is coming Thursday and I'll see.

jimmay76
Premium
join:2003-02-11
East Providence, RI
reply to ROP

You will not be disappointed, went to fios from dsl about 3 years ago, I have the whole bundle so I am paying a bigger bill, 6 computers plus tablets and phones and never a slowdown. Lost power in Feb during the blizzard for 24 hrs, the phone worked for 12 on the original battery

ROP

Yonkers, NY

Won't be disappointed when it's working. When it's not...there's always Optonline.