All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NewUser38
join:2013-03-15

NewUser38

Internet Connection Drop-VOIP Call Drops

We just switched to Wow 15/1 cable internet. I'm trying to troubleshoot call drops on our VOIP service. The particular service is T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling (UMA lite), which is GAN or Generic Access Network. It's basically GSM codec encapsulated with IPSEC over ports 500 and 4500 to T-Mobile's network core. This works from my Wi-Fi cell phone as a carrier supplied Android App.

Wife's newer version of Wi-Fi calling uses Secure SIP over port 5061 (signalling) and a randomized port in the 10000-20000 range for the encrypted RTP voice traffic. She hasn't noticed any dropped calls when on Wi-Fi, although I'm not sure if this is because I use the service more or because her version is more stable on the network.

Modem (Moto SB6121) and Router (Linksys WRT 54GL) are new. Using Tomato firmware on router. Wireless signal strength from router is strong. Phone appears to be normal. I've had several dropped calls where the Wi-Fi calling software drop call log lists "ISP Problems" as the cause. Calls have dropped when no other users in the house were on our wireless network. Finally, errors on T-Mobile's end are generally server/initial connection problems and not dropped call issues.

I was under the impression that a newer modem with multiple channels, like ours, prevents connection drops from occurring. It this not true? Also, can a connection drop on Wow's end not result in anything noticeable on our modem but a momentary pause?

Any assistance from experienced WOW users or even WOW employees would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W

said by NewUser38:

I was under the impression that a newer modem with multiple channels, like ours, prevents connection drops from occurring. It this not true?

That is not true. Bonded channels allow higher and more stable speeds, but have little to do with preventing connection drops.
said by NewUser38:

Also, can a connection drop on Wow's end not result in anything noticeable on our modem but a momentary pause?

Absolutely. The modem is, for the most part, only concerned with the connection between it and the CMTS. If there's a problem after the CMTS, there will be no indication at all on the modem.