Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to VioletVenom

Mod

to VioletVenom

Re: Pressure washing & resanding paver walkways

I think the important thing to remember about sand is that it is angular and not spherical. Therefore it does not automatically achieve a compacted shape. If it is not compacted and therefore locked together then it will erode very easily.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Funny. The installer guy said the exact same thing in almost the exact same words when he was explaining it to us.
said by John Galt6:

You don't want to use a 'tamping' machine (presuming you do)...you want to use a vibrating plate compactor.

Two different beasties...!

I agree. That's the correct terminology. I was just assuming that's what was meant. That's probably not a good thing to do since a person may go out and get the wrong thing.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

Funny. The installer guy said the exact same thing in almost the exact same words when he was explaining it to us.

said by John Galt6:

You don't want to use a 'tamping' machine (presuming you do)...you want to use a vibrating plate compactor.

Two different beasties...!

I agree. That's the correct terminology. I was just assuming that's what was meant. That's probably not a good thing to do since a person may go out and get the wrong thing.

Great advice guys! This is why this forum rocks ...

I'll look into renting said vibrating plate. I used the word 'tamping' but had a picture of a vibrating plate compressor in mind!

These are nice enough pavers that I'd like to keep them that way!

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
Originally, when we built the patio a vibrating plate compactor was used during the process. First to compact the 4" bed of polymeric sand and then as a last step when pavers and crack sand had been laid. With the lay of the land in our application the patio is actually below grade of the lawn.

Old house, built in the late 40's, at some point Harry homeowner built an addition on the back of the house. They didn't take many things into account, one of them being the grade around the house. Even though they stepped up from the original slab about 3", it wasn't high enough. The back yard slopes down into the addition so water mitigation is a bitch. The new patio helps with keeping water away from the house. Coupled with a drainage system installed in the yard, sump pump jets water out to the street. After storms washed the sand from the patio's cracks we put a drain into the patio and that has helped the situation. So, long story short (tldr) YMMV.