uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Johkal

to Johkal

Re: [General] Telemarketers qustion

said by Johkal:

I don't know if you are looking closely at the exact phone number, but you do realize the telemarketers could have as example 300 numbers.

All it say's is "UNKNOWN NAME" "UNKOWN NUMBER" on the called ID.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

So, if *77 blocks the particular number without you actually kowing what it is, I'll guarantee that they have many numbers available to use to call you with. Every time they call & you *77, it's a different phone number.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

All it say's is "UNKNOWN NAME" "UNKOWN NUMBER" on the called ID.

Telco actually receives the calling number of every incoming call; however, if the call has the "privacy" flag set, DID residential and business service must respect it and displays whatever your provider or device uses to indicate that the number is not available to you. Note that *ALL* calls placed *to* toll-free numbers (800, 855, 866, 877, 888) provide the originating caller's number regardless of any Caller ID blocking setting the caller may have.

As to your question, some telcos (for a fee) will let you block *all* calls to you that do not provide end-point CID. Blocking individually only blocks *that* particular number, not all "Unknown" ones. Many newer phones have a feature that lets you do this (phone usually rings once, caller gets pickup followed immediately by hangup). My phone does this and also lets you use wildcards for blocking (but it only is moderately useful since the worst offenders use numbers from random NPA/NXX).
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

So as i understand not all incoming UNKNOWN NAME and UNKNOWN NUMBER calls could be blocked. I know if it is 800 number or 888 area code numbers they are hard to block.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

The number is available to the telco but not to the customer endpoint. You need either the service that lets you block all such calls so your phone doesn't even ring if they call, or a phone (or device connected to the line between the phone and the jack) that will filter anything that does not look like a phone number in the presentation. As for callers from toll-free numbers, there is little you can do to block those, and you shouldn't block them outright. Any legit business that you do business with may be calling you (such as a bank) and if they cannot get through for something important/time-sensitive you might find your account suspended until you call them. (They do it for security purposes so there is no reason to complain about that.)

Program numbers into your phone that you know are legit with some indication of who it is so you know to take that call.