uniqs

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: Was this a good idea? (Superdrive related).

LOL.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

My only complaint when I did this with my MBP is now when I hook up the external DVD to play a DVD, DVD Player tells me there's not a supported SuperDrive attached. I have to use VLC.

10.8.3, 15" 2010 MBP (Core i5) - 500GB HDD (internal) and 240GB Intel SSD (in SuperDrive bay)

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

That's odd..

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to acadiel

to acadiel
said by acadiel:

My only complaint when I did this with my MBP is now when I hook up the external DVD to play a DVD, DVD Player tells me there's not a supported SuperDrive attached. I have to use VLC.

Are you going through a USB hub? I've seen that type of flakey behavior if you don't hook up directly to the computer.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
Atlanta
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

said by acadiel:

Are you going through a USB hub? I've seen that type of flakey behavior if you don't hook up directly to the computer.

Nope, the DVD drive is hooked up as the OP did above.

My guess is that if I reload OS X without a DVD drive attached, it'll get around this problem. I'm going to yank DVD Player from my Mini's load over to the MBP to see if that is a simple work around.

tango_bob
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL

tango_bob to acadiel

to acadiel
said by acadiel:

According to OWC's site who sell DataDoubler, that is expected behavior.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
Atlanta
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

said by tango_bob:

said by acadiel:

According to OWC's site who sell DataDoubler, that is expected behavior.

There has to be a reason my 2011 Mini will play off a third party DVD player with the DVD Player app while the MBP 2010 won't.... I'll figure it out eventually.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to acadiel

Premium Member

to acadiel
said by acadiel:

said by not quite right:

said by acadiel:

Nope, the DVD drive is hooked up as the OP did above.

My guess is that if I reload OS X without a DVD drive attached, it'll get around this problem. I'm going to yank DVD Player from my Mini's load over to the MBP to see if that is a simple work around.

Why would you EVER use the built in dvd player when you have VLC and MplayerX which have more codecs and video options? It's like using Windows Media Player when you better options on windows!