IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Light Fixtures on Rental Property

As I have said in a previous thread, the tenants in the other unit moved out and literally trashed the unit. The landlord has been doing quite a bit of work on the other unit in the duplex. The landlord's husband replaced the exterior lights a few years ago and shortly after that the globe on the fixture meet its fate on the concrete porch. So I suggested replacing the fixtures with a style that does not need to be disassembled for relamping so the landlord said go ahead and he'll pay me back for the fixtures so I walked over to Lowe's and picked up two of these (one for each side) and I installed them.

The question I am asking is will these stand up to abuse from tenants better. There are a lot of rentals around here and a lot of the exterior lights have been demolished from tenants relamping them.

I think these will be good as they require no disassembly to relamp.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

leibold

MVM

The downside of an exterior light fixture with easy access of the bulb(s) is that it may turn into a convenient source of bulbs for whoever lives in or near that home.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
As long as the tenant is a jerk, any fixture can be broken.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
The fixture is fine. Any fixture can be destroyed/have bulb stolen, so I wouldn't worry about that.

It's nice you are making efforts to fix up the property. It might not be your property, but your efforts to improve certainly help.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
I have something similar on my back porch, they work nice and have held up well.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
its incredible how tennants can be, my buddy is a janitor in a large appartment building tennants were constantly stealing the light bulbs in the hallways... so we got a nice dirty ugly fix. 8 foot tube lights in the halls, like the ones you used to see in all the grocery stores!

that said iowa, the simpler the better when it comes to things the tennant has, your lights are fine.