spc
uniqs

Anonymous2
@199.115.85.x

Anonymous2 to GeekInfoNow

Anon

to GeekInfoNow

Re: OMGfast.... Looking for review

We signed up for OMGFast this past January. While initially the service was fast, it was even quicker to slow down. Not sure if this was due to the physical environment or what, but twice (and only after being fed up with having slower service than I had with AT&T DSL) I called to see what could be done. Once I left my number for a Tier II tech but got no response (although the service did pick back up after I called), and the second time I was asked to do a power cycle. Okay, so that worked. But short of having to do that every couple of days, no one ever offered to have a tech come out and try to reposition the dish. I called last week to cancel the service, was hung up on abruptly without provocation, and just got off the phone with someone who was willing to refund my service fees if I allowed a tech to come out and reposition the dish. My husband simply wasn't happy with the service and that's why I called to cancel.

When I called last week to follow up with an appointment on when to get this stuff out of my house, I was told we were being credited a month's worth of charges for March, yet March's billing date hadn't even been reached (this is where I was hung up on). I immediately called my bank, put a stop payment on all OMGFast charges that attempted to come in, and called a second time to find out when a technician would be out to pick up the equipment. I was told one had already tried twice to contact me (not true) and that the ticket number (not a confirmation number) would be re-queued so I was at the top of the list again. I have yet to hear from a tech, and that was two days ago.

In the mean time, I just got off the phone with someone who was willing to refund me all the charges I have paid and to have the dish recalibrated/repositioned. I told him that all I wanted was someone to come out and pick up the equipment. Again I was hung up on.

While the service might be great for some (both internet and customer), I advise to reconsider. You have to sign up for auto debit (as it was put to me by my salesman) and there is no way that I found to change that information. To cancel, you have to call in. It's been over a week since I cancelled and I can't seem to get someone to call me back regarding coming to get the equipment.
OMGfast
join:2013-03-21
Pompano Beach, FL

2 edits

OMGfast

Hey all, thanks for the feedback! Anonymous2 we sincerely apologize that you've had these issues! If you'll send us a PM with your phone number we'll have someone call you ASAP.

-OMGFAST! Web Team
BellSouthBS
join:2002-03-07
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

BellSouthBS

The service sounds ok, but I have a VOIP service with almost 2 years left on the contract. What is the worst-case JITTER I can expect from both the uplink and downlink?

Is it true that you block torrents, as I use this technology to publish and distribute very large genetic databases for research, as this cuts down on server bandwidth for me???

Also, I just happen to have a couple 50 ghz spectrum analyzers and a 60' tower in the back yard with 35 sq ft windload, with 21 sq ft not presently used. I also have a 1st Class FCC lic hanging in the back room, and have several microwave links at this location. Just for kicks, I manufacture Nitrogen cooled LNAs for deep space use.

Based on the quality of techs/installers mentioned in previous posts, how about a DIY or self-install provision. Since I already have some 10 to 18 Ghz broadband horns, I already observed some traffic on the old CARS band to the Northeast of my West Davie, FL location, but at -92 dbm with a 10 db gain horn. I would like to see a 30 db (rain/scatter) fade margin, or at least a shorter path from an upcoming tower, before considering your service. I also do Proof Of Performance for FCC compliance or documentation purposes.

Now, about that DIY install provision, as I would have no patience for a roofer trying to learn how to adjust azimuth and elevation by using an AGC or QOS reading on a remote laptop.
BellSouthBS

2 edits

BellSouthBS to OMGfast

to OMGfast
.... Also is there a MINIMUM guaranteed speed, or at least a typical "rush hour" uplink and downlink speed??

On the 1st page of this thread, someone posted a speedtest that showed a 7% packet loss, 65 ms latency, and a 31 millisecond jitter. Is this the best or typical of what the system can do???

Will today's equipment/base stations do better????

no service
@comcast.net

no service to OMGfast

Anon

to OMGfast

Re: OMGfast.... Looking for service

I would like to have this service installed in my home in Sunrise. When will this service be in this area?
daweeze02
join:2002-02-26
Fort Lauderdale, FL

daweeze02

So I ended up getting omgfast setup here in Oakland Park and so far so good. The tech was very knowledgeable and even ran a pingtest before I had a chance, which I thought was cool. I def didn't think the installer would do that. It came back as a "B" same as uverse. I've had it about a month now and it hasn't gone down once. I do wish upload was around 10megs but I know it's due to a limit of the technology. I've played xbox live non stop for and not one disconnect. If anyone has any questions or wants me to run any test lmk.