"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

dandeman
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

Very much so... I've been building VHF/UHF FM repeaters for the last 16 years... The 5khz channels of FM communications radio architecture is patterned after the AT&T Bell Labs (at one time a great, highly respected engine of invention) design of microwave back haul telephone circuits, all which came out of the Fletcher Munson research of the human hearing capability done in the 1930s that Bob makes reference to.

His comments about learning pitch (training your hearing) from playing the Wurltizer theatre organ as a young kid and that becoming an asset as he started doing audio design is right on. There have been recent MRI studies of the human brain of musicans that indicates playing music as an early age literally wires the brain differently from someone who hasn't had that experience.. Watch talented musicans in their perfect sense of pitch and timing really shows something is different..

Great video! I saw sometime back when it first came out.

I met and talked to him a bit last year at the Dayton Hamfest.

ham radio operator
audiophile
great lover of music and appreciative of the talent that can produce it.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to zacron
This is a great clip, thanks for posting it. I have always admired Bob Heil and his intelligence when it comes to sound and electronics. The best in audio!
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to dandeman
He really has taught me alot in a Podcast (Netcast) he does with Leo Laporte on twit.tv -- I never did get a Ham License because of the cost involved when I was younger.

I'm in the process of getting a "Community Permit" from the CRTC to put a tempo FM Radio broadcast up for a project in January next year. I will probably be declined but it's worth the try.

Z
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"