Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

RANT: Ragu "Double Cheddar Sauce"

When I bought it I didn't have time and grabbed it quickly thinking, gee, maybe this will be better than Velveeta.

Now, I am dairy intolerant, and I think I am sickened by Casein. So because of that, I don't eat any dairy products unless I will be home the next couple days. I love dairy, and only once in a while allow myself the eventual torture from it.

I bought the Ragu Double Cheddar Cheese sauce. It is the worst crap I've ever had, I can't recall a food product that I've had in years that sucked worse. It tastes like mayo mixed with chlorine filled water. Really.

What further angers me is the labeling. The ingredients text is incredibly tiny, I've never seen ingredients labels with such text, you'd have to be a 10 year old with perfect vision to read it.

I wrote Ragu and told them that I will no longer, ever, buy any more of their products, and don't send me coupons. And I meant it. It is inedible.

Now I get to feel sick without any benefits. Sadly, it was my dinner and now no dinner for me...

Don't buy this wretched garbage.

Velveeta is fine wine in comparison. Sure, I honestly wasn't expecting MUCH, but when you spend a few dollars, you HOPE for at least something you can tolerate. If I wanted mayo, I would have bought mayo.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

Is making your own sauces not an option for you?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

So, you knowingly bought a product with cheese in it, and being lactose intolerant?

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

Double Cheddar
INGREDIENTS: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, YELLOW CHEDDAR CHEESE BLEND [CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), WATER, WHEY (MILK), NATURAL FLAVOR, NONFAT MILK, SALT, ANNATTO (COLOR), DISODIUM PHOSPHATE], WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE BLEND [CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), WATER, BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), SALT], MODIFIED CORN STARCH, ENZYME MODIFIED EGG YOLK, SALT, WHEY (MILK), NATURAL FLAVOR, PARMESAN CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), ROMANO CHEESE (PART - SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, XANTHAN GUM, PAPRIKA AND ANNATTO EXTRACTIVES (COLOR), YEAST EXTRACT, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE (MILK).

Nutrition Facts
Nutritional Information
Serving Size 64g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 25mg
Sodium 460mg
Potassium 20mg
Total Carbohydrate 3g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 2g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 6%
Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to DC DSL

I didn't have time at the store for that, and it would have cost closer to ten bucks rather than 2.5 bucks, and it was something for getting home tired, but yes, it would have been good if it were my sauce, I know how to make good cheese sauce.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

So, you knowingly bought a product with cheese in it, and being lactose intolerant?

So you fail to read what I wrote?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Yes, I read it. That's akin to a diabetic using sugar. I don't get it.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

I didn't have time at the store for that, and it would have cost closer to ten bucks rather than 2.5 bucks, and it was something for getting home tired, but yes, it would have been good if it were my sauce, I know how to make good cheese sauce.

That $10 would have yielded far more sauce than the jarred. I know because I make my own sauces all the time. Tomato-based sauces freeze well for months, so making a huge pot and freezing the extra is exceptionally economical and convenient. When I'm making a tomato sauce "out of season" canned tomatoes work just fine and are much cheaper than fresh...especially if you pay attention to your market's weekly sale circular and get them when they're on sale for 4/$5 or even 10/$10.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Juggernaut

No it isn't. And diabetics CAN use sugar, depending on things.

I take medicine that helps and if I don't eat much of it, usually I'm ok, in fact, it seems that the last time I got sick, I had lactose free milk.

It's not suicide, friend, it's just digestive discomfort in exchange for eating something you like. A lot of people do that. Except that stuff sucks.

I've even had pizza on occasion.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

said by signmeuptoo:

That $10 would have yielded far more sauce than the jarred. I know because I make my own sauces all the time. Tomato-based sauces freeze well for months, so making a huge pot and freezing the extra is exceptionally economical and convenient. When I'm making a tomato sauce "out of season" canned tomatoes work just fine and are much cheaper than fresh...especially if you pay attention to your market's weekly sale circular and get them when they're on sale for 4/$5 or even 10/$10.

Better yet: Have a sister who grows the most delicious herbs and tomatoes, and make sauce from that, that's what I do.

What does tomato sauce have to do with cheese sauce?

I am a great cook, so I don't need to be told these things (it's kinda captain obvious here guys), and I framed my statement clearly: Lack of time to shop, desire for something quick. I cook my meals daily and frankly, taking a break from it is worth a shot once in a while. And just how much do you think a pint of milk and 2 pounds of grated cheese and a package of butter, and flour, and the rest of the ingredients cost anyways? $2.50? Not where I shop. And this was unplanned.

Sorry if you don't like my excuses, the fact remains, it is a bad product, and that IS what I was talking about.

Funny how a complaint about a bad product turns into something else.

Just avoid the product folks, it isn't very good. If you don't want to spend time cooking, and can find the velveeta in the store, use that. It might be fake cheese (well, that can be debated), but it isn't all that bad, but this stuff sucks, it's nothing like cheese whiz, it's yellow colored mayo, but, erm, worse than mayo.
--

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

I said "out of season" for using canned tomatoes. Fresh are only good in season.

I make meals at home most days using either stuff I picked up that day, or any number of combinations of stuff from that day, things in the fridge, things from the pantry, or things I prepared ahead and froze. I'm set with yummy and healthy food whether I feel like cooking on any given day or not, and seldom buy convenience foods or takeout. When I calculate cost, I consider how many total servings I will get out of the end result. It is *ALWAYS* significantly less than what the single-use prepared product costs. I'm in downtown DC and prices here are not at all cheap...but I do save a bundle by doing the circulars, making a list, and using coupons liberally.

If you couldn't read the label yourself, ask another customer, floor clerk, or mosey over to the service desk, and have it read to you. And, common sense should tell you that such a combination product is likely to disappoint if you are unfamiliar with it...so you shouldn't have tried it blind without a Plan B. When in doubt, you could just pick up the store-brand version of Velveeta, a jar of non-cheesed sauce, just heated it up at home, and you would have been much happier.

So, while the product may be awful to you, you were the one who didn't do your due diligence and bought it. I doubt the manufacturer's market research, product development, and taste testing teams came to the same conclusion as you. Launching and continuing a product these days involves a lot of money, so they made sure that enough people in different regions like it and are likely to continue buying it. While I would probably agree with your opinion were I to taste it (just the name gives me agita which makes me rather unlikely to even want to sample it), I wouldn't make a blanket declaration that it sucks. Now, food from a restaurant is a different story...if someone says it sucks, it sucks.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo

Its Ragu. You actually expected it to be good?

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to signmeuptoo

Hey OP if you MUST buy store bought pasta sauce then use this »shop.silverpalate.com/Pasta-Sauc···taSauces. Buy them in the supermarket they can be had for 4 bucks or so.
--
Professional student pilot!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Never seen that in any store.

EDIT: What store chains are there in Cape Cod? Big Y? Safeway? Fry's? HEB? Stop and Shop/Giant? Tops? Kroger? Piggly Wiggly? Walmart? Whole Foods? Winn Dixie? Fiesta? Randalls?

But seriously, what stores are they at?

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

We have Stop&Shop, Shaws and a new Market Basket. I have seen it at all the stores here. Its really good sauce.
--
Professional student pilot!

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to signmeuptoo

The typical aged cheddar cheese has zero lactose in it. Couldn't say what Ragu uses--aged vs. not so aged. But then Velveeta has next to no cheese in it.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

" And just how much do you think a pint of milk and 2 pounds of grated cheese and a package of butter, and flour, and the rest of the ingredients cost anyways? "

How many are you cooking for? Now you are a great cook so flour is a staple ingredient just to have on hand. The butter is you do not normally use probably could have oil substituted. As a great cook some basic oil on hand is key then maybe olive oil also.
The luxury part would be milk or milk substitute and a small package of cheese. Most grocery store have generic ok still real cheese in their own packaging of all sizes from small to large. No need to buy two pound and then grate it yourself.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Actually, I don't have flour here, I have no room for such as that. I live alone.

Being a good cook doesn't mean I still have everything I used to have to cook with, dude, I'm poor, you know that.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ

Flour baking powder and yeast not all the same time plus other stuff is bread, Indian fry bread pancakes, waffles, cake, many fried things need flour, all basic stuff.
Then depending on nationality and cooking, rice, beans, other grains, quinoa etc. Then maybe a cheap meat or fish if not vegetarian. Then vegetables and fruits.

You need some stainless steel pots and pans ok quality. Heck even used if still fine. Maybe some cast iron even old if know how to clean up. Your close family may give help cleaning if have what is needed.
I did have an ok brand non stick bit know has change over the years.
Some sort of cookie sheet, baking sheet and cake pans if like cake,

Not all at once just budget. You seem to move with nothing all the time. sorry for that.

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to signmeuptoo

As others have mentioned, it would be more cost effective to make your own sauce and then freeze it. And it will taste better too. Bottled sauces aren't really that cheap for what you get, so you really aren't saving money by buying them. Also, you will have quick meals ready. Just thaw out a portion ahead of time.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

It's Ragu. You actually expected it to be good?

This would have been my response. Ragu is disgusting.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Indeed, it IS disgusting.

Don't worry, I won't buy their crap again.

I only had 4 dollars for food. enough for some pasta and the sauce.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Ragu makes dozens of styles/flavors. You bought one their more "esoteric" products and--surprise--didn't much like it. (I've been using Ragu tomato-based spaghetti sauces for decades. They're certainly no worse than anyone else's.) However, if you truly are simply lactose intolerant, then you should try using a probiotic to--a lesser or greater degree--eliminate the bacteria from your gut which are the real culprit for the symptoms of "lactose intolerance". On the other hand, if you have a dairy allergy, then there's really not a lot you can do but stay away from dairy foods. You may also need to watch out for being allergic to wheat (pasta).
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

Sodium 460mg

There is the problem... need to triple the sodium

@OP these cost more but are pretty tasty »www.mezzetta.com/our-products/de···a-sauces

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

As others have mentioned, it would be more cost effective to make your own sauce and then freeze it. And it will taste better too. Bottled sauces aren't really that cheap for what you get, so you really aren't saving money by buying them. Also, you will have quick meals ready. Just thaw out a portion ahead of time.

Not all of us have freezer space for that. Some people don't have a good place to put a standalone freezer either. That's a nice idea, but not always practical for everyone.

That being said, my daughter asked for that stuff once and I kept walking after looking at the package. I'm glad I didn't buy it.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo