J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

[Extreme Plus] Why not 1PB?

Now, not that I plan, or anyone else should plan, but unlimited is limited to about 977 TB's of download. Why not the extra 23 TB and just do 1 PB? Doesn't it make a difference? Will anyone even hit close to that? Even with a 100meg connection, you'd hit 26TB after 30 days, running none-stop, 24/7/31....
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs

said by J E F F4:

Doesn't it make a difference?

You answered your own question.

Beermage
@rogers.com

Beermage to J E F F4

Anon

to J E F F4
1000000000 MB = 976562.50 GB

And it's 953.67 TB not 977 TB

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
lol. So what, now that Rogers has unlimited plans there's nothing else to talk or fight about except some invisible limit no one will ever come close to reaching?

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

lol. So what, now that Rogers has unlimited plans there's nothing else to talk or fight about except some invisible limit no one will ever come close to reaching?

Doesn't matter. I did the math and it is 1 petabyte. 1 petabyte divided by 1024 equals 977 terabytes.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

And Jeff, are you going to buy me a petabyte of storage?
i might do 2-4tb/month, most of it in TV shows i watch then delete, but I have no idea where I would even remotely store 1PB in a month.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

15 years from now, we'll be laughing how we thought we could never use a PB of storage.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

640PB ought to be enough for anyone!

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

Forgot usage! We need faster speed and unlimited. FTTH for all of Ontario and Canada. At least a gigabit In both directions.. Internet is a joke in Canada...

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

said by MJB33:

Forgot usage! We need faster speed and unlimited. FTTH for all of Ontario and Canada. At least a gigabit In both directions.. Internet is a joke in Canada...

Agreed...

Who cares about 150 down... when you are receiving from someone who has a max of 10up?

I do not think many servers can fill the needs of 150mbps throughput...

»www.newsrover.com/images ··· peed.gif (just an example of how you can actually top out)

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by RLBL:

said by MJB33:

Agreed...

Who cares about 150 down... when you are receiving from someone who has a max of 10up?

»www.newsrover.com/images ··· peed.gif (just an example of how you can actually top out)

It's 2013.

Most well hosted machines can push you 150Mbps without issue. We have micro instances on AWS that will push 100Mbps over SCP/SSH and medium/large instances that head well over 150 with SpeedBoost.

Google Compute, App Engine, RackSpace, SquareSpace, etc, etc will all be competitive with this.

Some of the older, bigger hosting/co-lo companies (Verizon Business comes to mind) will be slower due to their cost structures (it's really expensive to get even a 10Mbps full duplex cage at Verizon Business in Canada) but this really isn't the norm these days.

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

said by SimplePanda:

said by RLBL:

said by MJB33:

Agreed...

It's 2013.

Most well hosted machines can push you 150Mbps without issue. We have micro instances on AWS that will push 100Mbps over SCP/SSH and medium/large instances that head well over 150 with SpeedBoost.

Google Compute, App Engine, RackSpace, SquareSpace, etc, etc will all be competitive with this.

Some of the older, bigger hosting/co-lo companies (Verizon Business comes to mind) will be slower due to their cost structures (it's really expensive to get even a 10Mbps full duplex cage at Verizon Business in Canada) but this really isn't the norm these days.

Allow me to replace the word "can"... with "don't"

Your point is well taken, but until everyone switches to more upload "speeds", having 150+ download speeds is overkill (esp. when considering the cost of having that "service".

I cannot wait for the day that 150+d/150+u is the norm