uniqs

alanhdsl
Premium Member
join:1999-10-09
Phoenix, AZ

alanhdsl

Premium Member

[AZ] Email authentication inside Cox network

I'm having a problem sending email. I'm sending from inside Cox's network, but I'm getting "550 5.1.1 relaying not allowed" from smtp.west.cox.net

I thought this was only an issue when sending via Cox's SMTP server from outside Cox's network. Do I need to authenticate while inside too?
alanhdsl

alanhdsl

Premium Member

I did switch to using port 587 and authentication, and it did work. Hm. Looks like it started around the beginning of March. I don't send a lot of e-mail, so I hadn't noticed.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

1 edit

CoxTech1

You might also want to remove "west" from the hostname too, that's no longer required.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by CoxTech1:

You might also want to remote "west" from the hostname too, that's no longer required.

I think you mean 'Remove" instead of "remote".

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to alanhdsl

Premium Member

to alanhdsl
What does it say as your ISP at

»whatismyipaddress.com/

Also, do you have a cox.net for your incoming mail? Are you on a Business or Residential connection? As long as your on a Cox Residential connection, and have a valid cox.net address for inbound (both email and username), outbound should work on port 25 with no authentication. Not that it really matters though, if its a laptop, then its better to set it up with Authentication, on port 587 with SSL, that way it will work anywhere, so perhaps its a blessing in disguise.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

port 587 is for TLS, for SSL you should be on port 465

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

TLS is backwards compatible with SSL. Alot of it comes down to client implementation, so trial and error is sometimes required. TLS won't work on 465 though, so I find port 587 is a better place to start since it has a wider compatibility. Either way, if I had to guess, he was using a different email and pop server for incoming, and that's what caused the problem