uniqs
share rss forum feed

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed

Re: [Rant] Poor forum setup

There seems to be a problem there, too. I've seen this a few times lately... A topic posted in Forum A gets moved to Forum B (for whatever reason). It used to be that there was a notice in Forum A that the topic was moved to Forum B. Now, both the notice and the topic show up only in Forum B, which makes no sense at all.

More to the topic, Anonymous posters get notified immediately when a post is too old to reply to. It would seem logical to do the same for members instead of leading them down a path only to cut them off when trying to submit the post (such a tease! ). /disclaimer: I haven't actually seen this myself.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by NotTheMama:

There seems to be a problem there, too. I've seen this a few times lately... A topic posted in Forum A gets moved to Forum B (for whatever reason). It used to be that there was a notice in Forum A that the topic was moved to Forum B. Now, both the notice and the topic show up only in Forum B, which makes no sense at all.

More to the topic, Anonymous posters get notified immediately when a post is too old to reply to. It would seem logical to do the same for members instead of leading them down a path only to cut them off when trying to submit the post (such a tease! ). /disclaimer: I haven't actually seen this myself.

Agreed.

The way I see it it is not working correctly.

I don't consider fixing something that is broken to be a forum request but a bug fix.

Now, whether anyone deems it worthy of fixing is another issue.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to NotTheMama
said by NotTheMama:

That shouldn't be happening, can you point me to an example of that?

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

This very thread is--or was--an example. When this topic first showed up here (in this forum), the notice that it had been moved to this forum showed up with it--so both were here. At some point after my post above, the locked notice disappeared from this forum and reappeared [back?] in the Rants & Raves forum. It appears from this that the whole process was just a "user error" (finger check or whatever) on the part of the mod closing/locking/moving the topic. This just wasn't the first time I've seen this recently. I'll have to check the other forums that I frequent to see if I can find the other instances, presuming they haven't been corrected (which they may have been--since this one was). So, it doesn't look like a bug in the software, just--perhaps--a tired mod in need of sleep or something.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory
It's similar to when the site hangs, and sometimes you end up with a double post. Topic moves are susceptible to that as well, it looks like that's what happened with this one.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

It's more likely that the double-posts are due to the site hanging, the poster not really noticing but seeing nothing happening and thinking "did I click that button? meh, I'll click it now/again ...oops, wait--#@%$ site!" ...viola**, double-post.

(**Yes, I know it's really "voilà".)
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to state
said by state:

said by NotTheMama:

That shouldn't be happening, can you point me to an example of that?

I'm pretty sure it happens that way due to moderator page selections immediately after moving a topic. If I'm remembering correctly use of the "Back" key at that time causes the notification either to be posted in the "new" forum or in both forums. Next time I screw it up I'll let you know.
--
here comes leadership

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory
said by fatness:

If I'm remembering correctly use of the "Back" key at that time causes the notification either to be posted in the "new" forum or in both forums.

Yes, depending on the browser (and settings) hitting "back" can cause the form to resend even though the page is stale, but from it's new location, causing the ghost move stubs.
Expand your moderator at work

non REGd

@videotron.ca
reply to NotTheMama

Re: [Rant] Poor forum setup

I agree with these two people.

said by NotTheMama:

Yup. There is more than one advantage to being non-reg'd.

said by Johkal:

As I do agree, wouldn't it be common sense to look at the topic date & the last reply date and realize "as example" the topic is 2 years old & it is pointless to reply?

This is true. If someone is replying to a two year old topic, they had to really dig around to find said topic. Or they found it on google or something.

Then they blindly, absolutely blindly, just post whatever. 2 years after the fact. I say frig them. If they can't look at a date and want to write a wall of garbage (OP's words) text only to have it not go through, then lesson learned. Now you know. Now you are educated enough to know how the forum works. Next time they will look at a date before writing a wall of garbage just to get it out of their head (OP's words).

Life lesson.

But no, now there is a rant about it because he couldn't get the garbage (his words) out of his head on a two year old topic. And for which he couldn't be bothered to even look at a date.

For these reasons, I *object*.

Person is now educated enough to continue his happy life and look at dates from now on before spewing whatever garbage (his words) lays in his head. Why waste time on this?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to NotTheMama
said by NotTheMama:

if this is the case then ***object***
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--