spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Foogoo

@charter.com

[HSI] Internet only works on Windows after modem reset

I got my HSI installed about two months ago. The tech requested a Windows computer to use to set it up, and all was done. I plugged the cable from the modem (DPC 3008) to my Linux box and everything worked fine.

Tonight I tried to install a Linksys E900 wifi router unsuccessfully and ended up losing my internet connection. After a few modem resets and plugging/unplugging the cable, I restored the connection to my Windows computer. However, when I move the plug to my Linux system it can't get a connection. This is all plugging directly into the modem.

What can be wrong here? No settings on the modem or computers were changed. Thanks.

passerby

@charter.com

This is normal behavior. The modem will only recognize the MAC address of the device that first connects to it. You have to power down the modem if you want to install a router or connect the modem directly to another device.

James SoCal

@verizon.net
reply to Foogoo

For the price of a multi-port router today life would be much easier for you if you installed one. Micro-center.com often has them for as low as $15. Not the typical brand names but I recently picked up a Trenda W268R wireless-n unit & am running it wired with the wireless turned off. It does not come in stealth mode default though so it must be configured.

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Foogoo

The others are right. With the E900 you may have to use MAC 'spoofing' where the router steals the mac address of the main PC on the network but as a norm anytime you unplug from one device to another you have to power-reset the modem to clear the MAC address of the previous device. I think ALL Charter modems do this.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to Foogoo

I agree with passerby. Likely it's all just a power up sequence thing when changing the modem's network connection to either the router or other computers.

1. Turn it all off.
2. Connect network cables.
3. Power up modem, wait until it's fully on line.
4. Power up router, wait until it's fully on line.
5. Power up computers.

passerby

@charter.com
reply to megarock

said by megarock:

The others are right. With the E900 you may have to use MAC 'spoofing' where the router steals the mac address of the main PC on the network but as a norm anytime you unplug from one device to another you have to power-reset the modem to clear the MAC address of the previous device. I think ALL Charter modems do this.

All DOCSIS modems do this.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Yes,
They do too!!