Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

2 edits

Why VHS in 1:37:1 fullscreen only???

Why on earth were widescreen movies be reformatted to fit your 1:37:1 or 4x3 TV screen on VHS tapes??? Why didn't they just release them in their proper format on the VHS tapes???

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 edit

Probably because in the days when people used VHS, they typically were viewing on small CRT screens. On a 30" diagonal 4:3 TV, a 2.35:1 image will be around 10" high.

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI
reply to floydb1982

Not all were. I had a few widescreen movies on VHS back in the day. Movies like Star Wars, Star Trek (the movies), The 5th Element, etc.
--

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC

Weren't they just letterbox versions of the movies? VHS format probably does not have the extra bandwidth needed for the extra information needed for true widescreen. Don't forget VHS is analog and therefore no compression is being done. To record more information you would need to change the recording method and would be incompatible with standard VHS.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to floydb1982

Why are you being annoying on this subject? Please feel free to Google aspect ratios of past media, and how it relates to modern practices.

To be honest, it sounds like you're trolling for lulz at the expense of other people here.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to floydb1982

said by floydb1982:

Why on earth were widescreen movies be reformatted to fit your 1:37:1 or 4x3 TV screen on VHS tapes??? Why didn't they just release them in their proper format on the VHS tapes???

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_rat···image%29
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to floydb1982

The most obvious answer I can think of is due to the craptacular video resolution of VHS tapes compared to normal D1 resolution video, running letterbox is a non-starter as there'd be very little video detail left.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to floydb1982

If you cared about OAR you would get the laserdisc. Everyone else wants it to fill the screen.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to floydb1982

I remember plenty of movies in wide screen(aka letter box) on VHS. However they were usually harder to find.

one thing to remember is VHS was aimed at home video as such many companies likely mastered the home video versions to look how they would if you watched it on TV.(ie filling the whole screen.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports