Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

[WIN7] IE10?

Any good or bad experience with IE10?? It's on my list for Win7 updates but I have not installed it yet... I mostly use Mozilla Firefox... Should I do the update or just leave it alone?
--
Go Mark Martin!

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
It's up to you. I haven't read about any major issues with it. I, however, had a problem with the Platform update which is apparently required by IE 10 (and will install if you don't have it with IE10). I had to use system restore, it caused BSOD and other weird behaviors. Others have had no problem with that update.

No IE 10 for me, but I use Firefox, so don't really care. Windows 7, 64bit.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Might be worth a try (IE 10 that is).

Lately I'm noticing the recent slowness of Firefox more and more.

That's even more noticeable when compared to how fast IE opens and how fast IE loads web pages.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
reply to Gemstone
I've been using it since Tuesday (update day) and have experienced no issues. It seems a little snappier than IE9 and even Chrome but that could just be my impression because it is a new toy.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Gemstone
said by Gemstone:

Any good or bad experience with IE10?? It's on my list for Win7 updates but I have not installed it yet... I mostly use Mozilla Firefox... Should I do the update or just leave it alone?

Internet Explorer 10 is the last version that Windows 7 will ever receive. If you mostly use Firefox, then I think the answer is clear. For myself, I use IE all the time and user Opera as a secondary browser. So naturally, I performed the update. It feels faster and more responsive than IE9.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Gemstone
said by Gemstone:

Been using it (on Win8) since the release candidate, and on my surface RT since December. Works fine. If you're using IE9, no reason not to use it. If you don't use IE9, you might as well update it anyway.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to Gemstone
I have had a great experience with IE 10. I have seen it fix issues with streaming Youtube videos with people that had IE 9.

I have found that if you experience an anomaly browsing, maybe you will have to see the web page in compatibility mode.
--
Oh, praise the one who paid my debt;
And raised this life up from the dead.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

1 edit
reply to Gemstone
I've noticed a couple of improvements over IE9 besides the performance improvements. Compatibility mode is much better. For example, I had no luck getting the Dropbox interface to work correctly. Putting it in compatibility mode now in IE10 has fixed the issues. Secondly, using Protected Mode in IE9 disabled the Adobe Reader and Flash add-ons. IE10 still does this but now you can enable them on a site-by-site basis.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
A few months ago I was having several issues with IE9 so I switched to Firefox, then after all the issues with Java I began having more problems than I cared to deal with. So after reading some of the comments in this thread I decided to give IE10 a try.
The problems I was having in IE9 appear to have been corrected and I am considering using IE10 as my primary browser.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Gemstone
I've run into one hiccup, and that is with Outlook Web App on an Exchange 2010 server, you'll get a "Couldn't get notifications" error show up. But it only seems to impact IE10 on Windows 7, not Windows 8 (I haven't tried it on Windows 8, just going off forum posts). I would expect Microsoft to address it in the future.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Gemstone
I use Palemoon for 99% of my needs.

I have been running IE10 on my work PC since Windows 8 RTM and no problems so far.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Gemstone
f I were you, I would wait awhile. Microsoft will soon be announcing FREE support for IE 10 install and uninstall issues on Windows 7.

There have been reports to Microsoft of badly wrecked computers after WU automatically installed IE 10 on Win 7 computers. Certain dlls are missing and the computers can barely function and have no download ability to download Microsoft utility to enable remote fixing of the problem by Microsoft. Fx and Chrome function slightly on the affected computers but they have no download ability either. A report in our security forum here about this crippling event:
»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

The current advice from at least one MVP at answers.microsoft.com is to hide the IE 10 update and continue to use IE 9 until Microsoft announces the upcoming free support for IE10 install/uninstall issues on Windows 7.

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···00efaf93
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
Yeah i saw that Mele, it seems many are having issues with IE10 in Win 7.

I have installed IE10 on Win7 64 bit on 9 different machines with no problems on various different hardware, I think the key is:

1. Install the Platform Update for Windows 7 1st. Then reboot the system.

2. Install IE10

I think the IE10 installer messes stuff up somehow when it installs the Platform Update some files may not be getting updated properly.

I just install the Platform Update 1st by itself, reboot the system then install IE10 afterwards and reboot and I have not run into any issues doing it this way.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
That's good advice. I have Windows 8 so I am not affected but I have always tried (with any new software) to FIRST install any prerequisite BY ITSELF. I don't think it prudent to trust the Windows Installer to do that first, get it right..nothing missing/corrupt, etc and then install the software. Seems like common sense to me to do it as you have suggested.

I sure feel for those who are having serious problems after letting WU install IE 10 on Win 7.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

Yeah i saw that Mele, it seems many are having issues with IE10 in Win 7.

I have installed IE10 on Win7 64 bit on 9 different machines with no problems on various different hardware, I think the key is:

1. Install the Platform Update for Windows 7 1st. Then reboot the system.

2. Install IE10

I think the IE10 installer messes stuff up somehow when it installs the Platform Update some files may not be getting updated properly.

I just install the Platform Update 1st by itself, reboot the system then install IE10 afterwards and reboot and I have not run into any issues doing it this way.

You may be on to something, I haven't had any problem on 5 different systems I've installed IE10 on, but on each one the Platform Update was installed first, separately and in advance of IE 10.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

Anonynonyno

@qwest.net
reply to Gemstone
Win8 IE10 came with my new Win8 laptop. So far the biggest problems are with filling out online forms. I fill in the form and press continue or enter and the webpage just hangs. Trying the same forms in Firefox works in those cases. 2nd biggest problem is just not being able to access some websites at all, even in compatibility mode. Again, Firefox gets me to them so I know it's not the website.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by Anonynonyno :

Win8 IE10 came with my new Win8 laptop. So far the biggest problems are with filling out online forms. I fill in the form and press continue or enter and the webpage just hangs. Trying the same forms in Firefox works in those cases. 2nd biggest problem is just not being able to access some websites at all, even in compatibility mode. Again, Firefox gets me to them so I know it's not the website.

If you are comfortable posting the URL of an example of either of those sites that fail in that way, I'd appreciate it.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us