how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL

[hard drive] Hard drive hum & vibration

I have a SAMSUNG HD161GJ hard drive that vibrates (you can feel it) and is producing a humming noise.

Should I be concerned?

The hard drive temperature is approx 40c.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
The temperature seems OK, 104F. How old is the drive? Is this a new drive that is vibrating out of the box or an old drive that has been used for years? Is the humming suddenly coming on after years of use? I typically see continuous use workstation/server hard drives start to fail at work around the 2.5 year time frame. We have multiple backup methods, so we just ensure the backup has been working and change out the vibrating hard drive since it will soon fail. They usually have less than six months of life left. But most of the drives last 4 years and by that time we are upgrading workstations and servers anyway.

jl747

Mount Prospect, IL
reply to jl747
I saw a date code of 12/2009.

The computer is a preleased (remanufactured) unit that I just got from Dell.

I do backup my data.

James_C

join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY
Tough call. On the one hand there's no way I'd want to accept the HDD, but on the other hand if they won't just swap the HDD and expect you to pay return shipping on the whole system, then I'd start to factor in how much money a replacement refurb'd HDD is worth.

That model HDD is only 160GB and probably ran all day every day in a corporate setting. You might run some sort of HDD utility that can read the # of power on hours it has and whether it is generating any errors, but I concur with DH that it may not have much of a lifespan remaining.

Replace it through Dell if it'll cost $15 or less in shipping, otherwise I'd try to decide if I wanted the system at all still and if so, get a new 1TB for about $55 by today's pricing... if not an SSD.

jl747

Mount Prospect, IL
reply to jl747
The Power on Hours are 25801.
Power count was 78

The pogram shows no errors and healthy status is good.

James_C

join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY
Equates to around 3 years of 24/7 use... don't think I'd even pay $15 to have Dell replace it, but it's worth a try asking them if they will for free.

jl747

Mount Prospect, IL
reply to jl747
Thanks for your thoughts.

I will talk to them later and see what they say.

They should replace it since it is under warranty. I hope.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
I just went through a PSU exchange on a Dell OptiPlex used as a print controller by Xerox Wide Format. Controller was still under warranty and I had to call Dell directly, as Xerox has ceased all Wide Format Support. I spent 1 hour on the web and 1 hour on the phone with Dell warranty support. It took that long as they had the OptiPlex listed under a special category and wanted to know why Xerox or a Xerox certified repair company was not handling the warranty claim. Once that got cleared up things went very smoothly. I got a new PSU within 24 hours. I suspect you might have an even easier time.